Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Miss Lois Nash
This module provides an introduction to the substantive criminal law in Wales and England, and the wider contextual issues related to criminal law and justice. It examines general principles of criminal liability, fatal and non-fatal offences against the person, and selected offences against property. Students will also study defences and rules in relation to parties to crime, and will analyse contemporary developments in the area of criminal law.
The module content includes but is not limited to:
actus reus and mens rea; Negligence and Strict Liability; General Defences; Parties to Crime; Inchoate Offences; Homicide; Non-fatal Offences against the Person; Offences under the Theft Acts 1968 and 1978: Theft and Related Offences; Offences involving Deception; Further Offences under the Theft Act; Criminal Damage; Sexual Offences.
B- to B+ (60% - 69%) A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
A- to A* (70% +) An outstanding, possibly brilliant, answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with little room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
D- to D+ (40-49%) An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%) An answer which, while always in the main accurate and correct, fails to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant material and is lacking in criticism. An answer which while reliable with regard to correctness is either not comprehensive or not entirely pertinent.
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the functions of criminal law, giving examples of relevant offences, and to clarify the relationship between law and morality
Accurately explain how criminal liability is imposed for both acts and omissions, and demonstrate practical understanding of this through applying the knowledge to legal problems
Explain and differentiate between the various culpable states of mind
Distinguish between offences of basic and specific intent and correctly apply the distinction to a legal problem
Develop and effectively communicate logical legal arguments on aspects of criminal law
Critically analyse the general defences to criminal charges and their use in contemporary case law
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module will be taught by means of 36 hours of lectures (2 hour lectures, twice weekly) taught over the course of one semester.
8x 1hour tutorials require students to engage individually and in groups in commenting upon, critically evaluating and applying the principles and details of the subject under the guidance and instruction of the tutor. Attendance and participation by all students is expected, as understanding is based upon one’s own development of ideas in context.
Private study includes preparation for tutorials and summative assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students are expected to have a copy of the key text.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-2113.html
The main textbook for this module is J. Herring, Criminal Law (11th ed), MacMillan
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- M212: LLB Criminal Law year 2 (LLB/CL)
- M21P: LLB Criminal Law with Placement Year (Subject to Validation) year 2 (LLB/CLP)
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/ILEL)
- M100: LLB Law year 2 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/L1)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 2 (LLB/LAF)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (LLB/LAF1)
- M101: LLB Law (2 year) year 2 (LLB/LAW2)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LCIE)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 2 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 2 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LFE)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LGE)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 2 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LHI)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LI)
- M103: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (Intl Exp) year 2 (LLB/LIA)
- M104: LLB Law with Business Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIB)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIF)
- M110: LLB Law with Welsh (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIH)
- M113: LLB Law with Criminology (Intl Exp) year 2 (LLB/LIK)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LITE)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 2 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LMSI)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 2 (LLB/LP)
- M1L2: LLB Law with Politics year 2 (LLB/LPOL)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 2 (LLB/LPR)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 2 (LLB/LPSY)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LSE)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 2 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1Q5: LLB Law with Welsh year 2 (LLB/LW)
- M1M9: LLB Law with Criminology year 2 (LLB/LWCR)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LWCR1)
- M1MP: LLB Law with Criminology with Placement Year year 2 (LLB/LWCRP)
- M1QK: LLB Law with English Literature year 2 (LLB/LWEL)
- M1M0: LLB English Law and French Law year 2 (LLB/UKLFL)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/CCJ1)
- M931: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice with International Exp year 2 (BA/CJIE)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 2 (BA/CRIM)
- M93P: BA Criminology and Criminal Justice with Placement Year year 2 (BA/CRIMP)