International Year Abroad - Languages
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Dermot Cahill
The Year Abroad module provides an opportunity for students to extend their understanding of their degree subject area by a period of study abroad at a Host Institution.
The module will also raise students' awareness of cross-cultural and transnational issues as they apply both within and outside their degree subject. It is expected that the module, as part of their degree course, will enhance students' experience and future employability.
Each student will spend an extended period studying at a Host Institution overseas. During the module students will pursue studies relevant to law. They will also learn about the country in which they are based, with particular emphasis on understanding and applying subject-specific knowledge in a different legal and cultural setting. The content of the module will be designed for each student in discussion with the Host Institution and will include elements of directed learning and/or supervision.
Criteria and thresholds for assessments undertaken while at the Host Institution will be determined by the Host Institution. In case the student does not pass the required number of credits while abroad, the following assessment criteria will be applicable to the essays submitted to make up for the shortfall:
Threshold: There are weaknesses in the way that the essay is structured, resulting in repetition and/or lack of clarity. It contains descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student but with evidence that the descriptions have not been fully developed. Knowledge directly related to the student’s degree subject is described but with little emphasis on any other knowledge acquired. There is little analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge and there is no evidence of critical evaluation.
Have acquired subject specific knowledge that will contribute to their general understanding of law that can be applied to their studies in subsequent modules at Level 6.
Appreciate and understand how the legal framework in different countries is influenced by multi-cultural and transnational issues.
Be able to evaluate their learning experience abroad and apply it to their future careers.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The teaching strategy will be determined by the Host Institution. It may comprise Lectures and/or tutorials or other teaching strategies as deemed appropriate by the Host Institution. It is expected that teaching will be delivered at the equivalent of 10 hrs per week over 25 weeks. The actual times will vary depending on the nature of the exchange and specific details will be included in the agreement with the Host Institution.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- present reasoned, critical, comparative responses to the views of others on legal subjects within a Welsh, United Kingdom, European and/or global context;
- present to others from a specialist or non-specialist background, reasoned, critical, comparative presentations relating to legal subjects within a Welsh, United Kingdom, European and/or global context;
- write sustained critical expositions of any given area of the legal subjects studied and present the findings clearly, logically and coherently;
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources