Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Craig Prescott
To ensure that students acquire an understanding of the foundations of sports law and the nature of the governance of sport in national, continental, and global contexts. Students completing this module will be equipped to address and evaluate governance and other contemporary issues in sport from a variety of perspectives. Such issues include sporting integrity and the challenge that increasing commercialization poses for existing structures of the governance of sport.
The module will allow students to study a range of issues within Sports Law, including, but not limited to, the following:
- the governance and regulation of sport in a variety of contexts;
- issues surrounding the integrity of sport, including anti-doping;
- commercial issues within sport, including broadcasting rights and other contracts within sport,
- the role of EU law in the development of sports law;
- contemporary and developing issues within sport.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%) An answer which, while always in the main accurate and correct, fails to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant material and is lacking in criticism. An answer which while reliable with regard to correctness is either not comprehensive or not entirely pertinent.
D- to D+ (40-49%) An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
B- to B+ (60-69%) High Standard: A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
A- to A* (70+%) An outstanding, possibly brilliant, answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with little room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
Identify, synthesise and critically evaluate relevant sources in relation to sports law, in its national, continental and/or global contexts.
Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the law, regulations, or other rules and apply that knowledge to actual or hypothetical factual scenarios occurring in a sporting context.
Demonstrate a high level of skill in articulating, structuring, and applying sophisticated arguments to actual or hypothetical factual scenarios, and to present those arguments in writing, in the appropriate manner.
Appraise the basic principles and doctrines of sports law, including the ability propose and justify new links between those principles and doctrines reflecting the fundamental dynamic and relationship between law and sport.
Show a comprehensive understanding, critically analyse and evaluate contemporary and developing issues within the context of sports law.
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of, and the ability to apply, relevant legal rules, principles, and processes of dispute resolution within the specific context of sport.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
20 lectures, of two hours duration, one per week, over one semester.
The module requires students to undertake private study in order to prepare for seminars and assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-3140.html
- Mark James, Sports Law (3rd edn, MacMillan 2017)
- Simon Gardner, Roger Welch, Sports Law (4th edn, Routledge 2012)
- Stephen F. Ross, Advanced Introduction to Global Sports Law, (Edward Elgar 2021)
- Jack Anderson, 'Modern Sports Law - A Textbook' (Hart 2010)
- Sports Lawyers Journal
- Sport & Law Journal
- International Sports Law Journal
- International Sports Law Review
- Entertainment Sports Law Journal
- Adam Lewis QC & Jonathan Taylor QC (eds), Sport: Law and Practice (4th edn, Bloomsbury 2021)
- Nick De Marco QC, Football and the Law (Bloomsbury 2018)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M212: LLB Criminal Law year 3 (LLB/CL)
- M21P: LLB Criminal Law with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/CLP)
- M1M1: LLB English Law and French Law year 3 (LLB/ELFL)
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 3 (LLB/ILEL)
- M100: LLB Law year 3 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/L1)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 3 (LLB/LAF)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (LLB/LAF1)
- M101: LLB Law (2 year) year 3 (LLB/LAW2)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 3 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LBS1)
- MT11: LLB Law with Chinese year 4 (LLB/LC)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LCIE)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 3 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 4 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LFE)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LGE)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 3 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LHI)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LI)
- M103: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (Intl Exp) year 4 (LLB/LIA)
- M104: LLB Law with Business Studies (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIB)
- M105: LLB (European) Law with French year 4 (LLB/LIC)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIF)
- M110: LLB Law with Welsh (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIH)
- M113: LLB Law with Criminology (Intl Exp) year 4 (LLB/LIK)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LITE)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LMSI)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/LP)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 3 (LLB/LPR)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 3 (LLB/LPSY)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LSE)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 3 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1Q5: LLB Law with Welsh year 3 (LLB/LW)
- M1M9: LLB Law with Criminology year 3 (LLB/LWCR)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LWCR1)
- M1MP: LLB Law with Criminology with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/LWCRP)
- M1QK: LLB Law with English Literature year 3 (LLB/LWEL)
- M1M0: LLB English Law and French Law year 3 (LLB/UKLFL)