Reflecting on Work or Volunteering Experience
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Tim Holmes
This module provides the opportunity for students to reflect on the skills and competencies gained by working in, or volunteering, for agencies and organisations related to criminal justice. The general aim of the module is to help to prepare students for future employment in the criminal justice sector. This module is only suitable to students who have gained considerable experience by working or volunteering for a substantial period of time.
Students will develop various employability skills through the work placement, most notably
Communication - verbal and written communication, and listening e.g being clear, concise and focused; being able to tailor your message for the audience and listening to the views of others. Organisation - learning to prioritise, work efficiently and productively, and manage your time in order to meet deadlines. Problem solving - analysing facts and situations and coming up with appropriate solutions. Reflection on skills and competencies acquired during volunteering/employment
The module will be workshop based and assist students in the completion of the portfolio. There will be little formal teaching as the function of the module is to reflect on, communicate, and evidence the skills and competencies acquired during employment or volunteering for a criminal justice agency.
This module will be suitable for students who are Special Constables and assist them in reflecting on and evidencing the competencies acquired.
The module will incorporate sessions from the Bangor Employability Award Team.
A- to A*
shows excellent ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides an insightful and skilled commentary on the student’s own experiences of the employment or volunteering in criminal justice. Demonstrates excellent awareness of the literature on reflective and experiential learning and draws well on that literature to evidence competencies and skills gained.
D- to D+
shows a basic ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides an descriptive commentary on the student’s own experiences of the employment or volunteering in criminal justice. Demonstrates a basic awareness of the literature on reflective and experiential learning and draws on that literature to evidence competencies and skills gained to a limited extent.
C- to B+
shows good ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides an comprehensive and skilled commentary on the student’s own experiences of the employment or volunteering in criminal justice. Demonstrates good awareness of the literature on reflective and experiential learning and draws competently on that literature to evidence competencies and skills gained.
Critically reflect on the culture of the criminal justice organisation worked or volunteered for.
Develop an ability to evidence work-based skills and competencies
Develop and reflect on the acquisition of a range of work-based skills and competencies.
Identify a range of professional and academic skills which are relevant to working in a criminal justice setting.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Self-guide Work on portfolio for 2 hours a week
|Practical classes and workshops||
Fortnightly workshops to support portfolio completion and review
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Relationships between crime, deviance, victimisation, policing and social divisions such as age, gender, social class, and ethnicity
- Apply different policing models and communication skills as situations require
- Understanding the role of strategic planning, mentoring, and leadership in policing
- Ability to locate, manage, and analyse secondary data, as well as generating and evaluating empirical evidence
- Gather, retrieve and synthesise data and information; reporting and presenting data analyses graphically and in writing
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L436: BSc Professional Policing (Pre-join) year 3 (BSC/PP)