Stanley Kubrick: Auteur 2024-25
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
Topics that will be covered in this module include all of Kubrick’s films, as well as how these intersect with events such as World War One, the Holocaust, the Cold War and the Vietnam War and such issues as science, technology, history, race, violence, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war.
-threshold -D- to D+Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:1.Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.2.Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.3.Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.4.Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
-good -C- to B+Submitted work is competent throughout and may be distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It:1.Demonstrates good or very good structure and logically developed arguments.2.Draws at least in parts on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.3.Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.4.Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
-excellent -A- to A*Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:1.Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent.2.Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.3.Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
- Comment appropriately on the relationship between film and other issues (science, technology, history, violence, race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war) in the work of Stanley Kubrick;
- Digest, select and organise material and produce a consistent and coherent argument presented in both oral and essay form/practical equivalent to a deadline.
- Discuss, in detail, the treatment of these issues in Kubrick’s films;
- Identify the key issues and conflicts with which Stanley Kubrick was concerned;
- Read a film text, deploying the appropriate critical language;
- The ability to relate filmic texts to a historical context;