Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Dyfrig Jones
On this short practical documentary filmmaking short course you'll learn the creative principles and technical skills needed to produce a short documentary film. In addition you will engage with some of the theoretical and ethical questions related to documentary filmmaking.
You'll learn self-shooting skills, with a focus on shooting interviews, and on learning the fundamentals of observational filming. You'll also be given opportunities to explore alternative forms of documentary storytelling, using sound, still images and archive footage.
By the end of the module, you will have completed work on a documentary film of between 5-10 minutes in length, as will have written about the filmmaking process.
During the first half of the module students will be given formal instruction in both documentary theory and media practice. This part of the module will examine the ways in which theoretical viewpoints influence the work of practitioners. It will also give students instruction in some basic media production techniques. In addition, the workshop sessions held during the first part of the course will allow students to undertake pre-production work on their final projects, in consultation with the tutors.
During the second half of the semester, the emphasis of the module will shift, and the timetabled sessions will be used to provide advice and guidance to students on the developments of their documentary film projects.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent. Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study. Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Critically interrogate the process of media production in relation to media production theory
Demonstrate an advanced ability to discuss and analyse the collaborative nature of documentary media production
Demonstrate advanced technical skill in one aspect of documentary media production
Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the processes by which documentaries are produced
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
During the first half of the semester, lectures will focus on instruction, with the module tutors providing information about key aspects of documentary film production. During the second half of the semester, the lecture will become more interactive in nature, and allow students to discuss the development of their work with the tutors and with each other.
During the workshop the module tutors will work closely with students to examine creative work that they have produced or are in the process of producing, Tutors will provide feedback on any work that has been completed, and guidance on how to improve and develop any work in progress.
During the private study periods, students will spend time researching, preparing and writing their essays, as well as on the pre-production, production and post-production elements of their film practice.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability to grasp and discuss how films reflect objective or subjective positions in their treatment of their subject matter. (Benchmark statement 5.7 and 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- The ability to develop and manage an independent research project in English/Welsh. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.15, 5.16)
- Sensitivity to and critical evaluation of key cinematic techniques and the use of cinematic imagery and language. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-3157.html
Reading list already exists in Talis - Documentary Filmmaking
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/FLMP)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- W610: BA Film Studies and Production year 3 (BA/FSP)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 3 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 3 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/JMSP)
- P316: BA Media Studies and Production year 3 (BA/MEDP)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)