Music since 1850
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Stephen Rees
This module introduces students to musicological study through a survey of music history between 1850 and the present day, combined with a series of workshops on study skills.
The module surveys selected works in a range of art music and popular genres. Changes and developments in musical style will be set in their historical, cultural, social, geographical and aesthetic contexts. In addition, students undertake a deeper study of two works, exploring them analytically as musical texts, and probing the circumstances in which they were composed.
Indicative lecture topics include: - Wagner and the 'total artwork' - Miniature forms: Grieg and Satie - Viardot and the role of the salon - Brahms: tradition and progressiveness - Music in late 19th-century France: Bizet, Fauré and Debussy - Stravinsky and the Ballets Russes - Music and technology: The Futurists and Varèse - Breaking away from tonality: Schoenberg and Webern - Neoclassicism: Ravel, Falla and Stravinsky - The early years of jazz - Symphonic traditions: Sibelius and Shostakovich - The birth of rock music - Musique concrète and Elektronische Musik - Cage and experimental music - Popular music in the 1960s - Integral serialism: Boulez and Stockhausen - Music from Soviet Russia: Gubaidulina and Schnittke - Progressive rock and beyond - Minimalism and post-minimalism - Pluralism, postmodernism and the culture industry
Indicative set texts for deeper study in seminars include: - Debussy: Préludes, Book 1 - The Beatles: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
A– to A**: Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of originality in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed convincingly.
D– to D+: Work which demonstrates an adequate knowledge of the subject, with limited ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed intelligibly.
C- i C+
Work which demonstrates a competent grasp of the subject, with adequate conceptual and critical thinking, expressed understandably.
B– to B: Work which demonstrates a good grasp of the subject, with strong conceptual and critical thinking, expressed engagingly.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of specific works, styles, genres and musical features in repertoire composed between 1850 and the present day.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to research topics in music history independently.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of the historical and cultural circumstances in which music was composed and performed between 1850 and the present day.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to communicate ideas effectively.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to analyse music from performances and scores.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to identify specified repertoire aurally.
|Repertoire test 1||10.00|
|Repertoire test 2||10.00|
|Essay 1 (short)||20.00|
|Essay 2 (long)||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
22 lectures, 2 per week, 1 hour each.
6 seminars, held fortnightly, 1 hour each.
5 study skills workshops, held fortnightly, 1 hour each, addressing both subject-specific and key skills.
Preparatory listening for lectures, preparatory reading and listening for seminars, research for essays.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-1300.html
The reading list is available via Talis.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 1 (BA/ELMIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 1 (BA/HMUIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 1 (BA/MCWIE)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MUSF)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- W305: BA Music with Game Design year 1 (BA/MUSGD)
- W3P5: BA Music with Journalism year 1 (BA/MUSJ)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 1 (BA/MUSTP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 1 (BA/WHMU)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BMUS/MUSF)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)