Genres and Composers C
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
On this module, students further extend their musicological skills through the detailed study of a focused topic from a choice of options. These topics are usually defined as either the oeuvre of a composer or group of composers (or a subset of their oeuvre), a style or genre of music (usually within a defined historical period), or a repertoire of music that existed in a specific time/place or for a specific purpose. At least three options will be offered, arising from staff specialisms; students choose one of these.
The module equips students with a profound knowledge of their chosen subject, while enabling them to hone their skills in musical analysis, source-based study, and contextual understanding. Students will be encouraged to think critically and conceptually about their new knowledge in relation to that acquired in Year 2.
The options available are different from those offered in Genres & Composers A and B (in Year 2) and from those offered in Genres & Composers D (in Semester 2 of Year 3). Students may therefore take any number of these modules, building a wider knowledge of musical texts and repertoires, and strengthening their grasp of approaches to understanding them, as they proceed through the programme.
At least three topics will be offered; students choose one of these. The choice of topics varies from year to year. The following list is indicative of the variety of options that may be available across Genres & Composers A, B, C and D. It is not exhaustive. The topics for 2019-20 are indicated below with an asterisk.
- The Ballets Russes
- The Beatles
- Beethoven and the String Quartet
- Brazilian Music and Culture
- Bush and Björk
- Cage and Experimental Music
- Debussy and Ravel
- From Dufay to Josquin
- Manuel de Falla
- Michael Nyman
- Music Revivals
- Opera: Monteverdi to Mozart
- Post-War British Opera
- Seven Jazz Women
- The 19th-Century Symphony
- The 20th-Century Symphony
- Three Contemporary Welsh Composers: Metcalf, Samuel and Barrett*
- Tonality Today*
- The Violin in World Culture*
D– to D: Work which displays adequate knowledge of the subject, with some ability in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed intelligibly and appropriately.
B– to B+: Work which displays a very good grasp of the subject, with evidence of strong ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed in a stylish manner.
A– to A**: Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of depth, breadth and originality in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed powerfully.
C- i C+
C– to C+: Work which displays a reasonable knowledge of the subject, with satisfactory ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed clearly.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to apply a detailed knowledge and understanding of specific subjects in music history and culture, and be able to evaluate this in relation to their wider knowledge.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to apply advanced skills of musical analysis, source-based research, critical thinking, and conceptual thinking in relation to the music studied.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to communicate ideas about the music studied in a manner commensurate with professional musicological protocols.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Preparatory reading and listening, wider reading, and research and analysis for assessed tasks.
11 weekly seminars, 1 hour each.
11 lectures/seminars, 2 hours each.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students.
A detailed reading list will be published when the topics have been set.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELMIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/HMUIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 3 (BA/MCWIE)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MUSF)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year (BA/WHMU)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BMUS/MUSF)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)