Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anne-Marie Smith
This module discusses the issues faced by young people as they navigate adolescence. The module will build on previous discussions of child development to consider how young people continue to develop as they approach adulthood. The various factors which may influence adolescent development will be considered, including the role of society, culture, the media and law. Specific, contemporary issues which are relevant to adolescence and young people will be explored such as the impact of the internet and social media, sex education and sexualisation, puberty and peer pressure. This module will complete the discussions of children’s transition to adulthood and set the foundation for modules in year 3 which discuss specific issues faced by young people.
This module will consider the following: - How do children become adolescents and adults? - Health and Behaviour. - The relationship between young people and adults. - Youth and Technology. - The development of gender identity. - Global perspectives of youth. - Sex, Drugs and Rock’n’Roll…
(D-, D, D+): A satisfactory understanding of current theories of adolescent development. Demonstrate an ability to discuss the key issues in adolescent health and well-being based on satisfactory research evidence. Show a basic awareness of the relationship between society and young people in terms of the media, individual adults and organisations. Consider the relationship between relevant theory and contemporary issues in young people’s experience.
(C-, C, C+): A good understanding of current theories of current theories of adolescent development. Demonstrate a good ability to discuss the key issues in adolescent health and well-being on the basis of reliable research evidence. Show a sound awareness of the relationship between society and young people in terms of the media, individual adults and organisations. Show a considered ability to evaluate the relationship between relevant theory and contemporary issues in young people’s experience.
(A-, A, A+, A*): A comprehensive understanding of current theories of adolescent development. Demonstrate an ability to thoroughly discuss the key issues in adolescent health and well-being on the basis of extensive background research. Show a thorough awareness of the relationship between society and young people in terms of the media, individual adults and organisations. Show an excellent ability to evaluate the relationship between relevant theory and contemporary issues in young people’s experience.
Discuss the relationship between young people and adults both within families and within the wider, societal context.
Discuss the key issues which are involved in ensuring adolescent health and well-being.
Evaluate the impact of societal and cultural factors on young people’s development and experience of adolescence.
Identify and evaluate a range of contemporary issues which relate to youth and the adolescent experience.
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of adolescent development from childhood to adulthood.
|Annotated Guide to Adolescence||25.00|
|Part 3 Written assignment||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 @ 2 hours/week
11 @ 1 hours/week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- critically explore examine and evaluate the significance of the cultural historical and contemporary features of various policies institutions and agencies in regard to babies young children and childhood
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-2041.html
Arnett, J. & Hughes, M. (2012) Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood: A Cultural Approach. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
Coleman, J.C. (2011) The Nature of Adolescence (4th Ed) Hove: Routledge
Côté J. (2014) Youth Studies: Fundamental Issues and Debates Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
Coy, M., Kelly, L., Elvines, F., Garner, M. & Kanyeredzi, A. (2013) “Sex Without Consent, I Suppose that is Rape”: How Young People in England Understand Sexual Consent.” Office of the Children’s Commissioner.
Furlong, A. (2009) Handbook of Youth and Young Adulthood: New Perspectives and Agendas. Abingdon: Routledge
Moore, S.E.H. (2012) ‘Controlling passion? A review of recent developments in British sex education.’ Health, Risk & Society, vol.14, no.1, pp.25-40
Rothman, E. F., Kaczmarsky, C., Burke, N., Jansen, E. & Baughman, A. (2015) “Without porn… I wouldn’t know half the things I know now”: A qualitative study of pornography use among a sample of urban, low-income, black and Hispanic youth.’ The Journal of Sex Research, vol.52, no.7, pp. 736-746.
Ruddock, A. (2013) Youth and Media London: SAGE
Soller, B. (2014) ‘Caught in a bad romance: adolescent romantic relationships and mental health.’ Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol.55, no.1, pp.56-72
Volpe, E.M., Morales-Alemán, M.M. & Teitelman, A.M. (2014) ‘Urban adolescent girls’ perspectives on romantic relationships: initiation, involvement, negotiation, and conflict.’ Issues in Mental Health Nursing, vol.35, pp. 776-790.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 2 (BA/CYS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 2 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 2 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 2 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 2 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/PIC)