Field Course: Barcelona
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eifiona Lane
- To introduce and develop knowledge base of the physical, economic and cultural resources, geography, history of the city of Barcelona and the autonomous region of Catalonia Spain;
- To develop competence in applying, investigative and analytical methodologies to a non-British, European situation, and to adopting appropriate investigative strategies and tolerances in relation to cultural, political and linguistic differences;
- To develop critical knowledge and understanding of issues and practice in regional development in the context of Barcelona as a regional capital and Catalonia as an autonomous region within the European contexts;
- To further critical knowledge and understanding of issues, resources, policy and practice in relation to planning, business,heritage and nature conservation, sustainable tourism, culture and language in Barcelona and Catalonia. Specific themes will be selected for each cohort field visit and will be introduced during the first staff lead seminar.
- To apply and further study skills and competence in investigating and gathering data in a new place based and geographical setting, collating , analysing, interpreting and evaluating that date and presenting findings in a range of coherent forms – the planning presentation , extended research essay, and short tasks .
This single semester, 20-credit module at Level Six (third UG year) includes the following elements and is assessed 100% by coursework: -
• Seven-day residential field study visit to Autonomous Region of Catalonia its capital city of Barcelona. A detailed itinerary is provided in the field visit handbook for the group which includes a period of individual research
• A series of one-hour staff lead preparatory seminars, Wks1-5. These are compulsory and a register will be taken.
• Directed investigative and analytical research task to inform a 10 minute formal power-point presentation for week 5. This will be undertaken in pair groups each tackling a set theme of choice relevant as background research for the study tour.
• During the visit, organised group visits, with guided tours to sites and resources relevant to the students’ degree subjects, will be conducted with full regard to University Health and Safety guidance. Students will agree to a module code of professional practice and behaviour whilst on the visit.
• Best use of free time during the visit will be planned in advance in order to gather field based material/observations to inform your choice of research report. On return you will be required to submit an individually written, evaluative and analytical report by the end of the semester (exact date to be circulated later).
Grade A- and above
1] An outstanding performance, exceptionally able
2] The relevant information accurately deployed
3] Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/ information in pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
4] Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Grade D- to D+ 1] No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information / skills 2] Some grasp of theoretical conceptual practical elements 3] Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
Grade C- to B+ 1] Much or most of the relevant information and skills accurately deployed 2] Good /adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements 3] Good / fair integration of theory /practice/information in pursuit of the assessed works’ objectives 4] Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
To develop knowledge and understanding of a range of geographical issues as exemplified in Barcelona and Catalonia.
To develop field based skills and competence in collating, analysing, interpreting, evaluating and reporting individual research in a new geographical setting.
Competences in presenting field based and academic web based research findings and conclusions in both an essay and short report format.
Ability to plan and execute a clear and well-structured group based PowerPoint presentation.
Carrying out a simple and informal peer review process.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Drop in sessions not timetabled
Oral presentation 1 x 2 hours
7 day fieldtrip (10hours per day)
Private and self-guided study
4* 1 hour preparatory weekly workshops up until week 5.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students are required to contribute towards the costs of their travel, accommodation and subsistence. Appropriate field wear and equipment eg camra, ruck sack and shoes
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3003.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GEOGIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)