Personality & Indiv Diffs
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Frances Garrad-Cole
This module addresses key topics within the field of personality, intelligence and individual differences. The module is split into two parts: intelligence and Personality and each will be assessed separately. The Areas covered include historic and current perspectives on personality, including psychoanalysis, humanistic and trait approaches. Individual differences and intelligence will be explored including intelligence testing, emotional intelligence and heritability of intelligence.
Students will gain an insight into personality and individual differences. On completion of the module, students will have gained a number of employability skills including: an understanding of the use or value of intelligence and/or personality testing; independent and self-motivated study; critical evaluation of academic topics and the relevance of such topics to current issues and debates.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments. <
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material. <
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.<< subject to change>>
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and relevance of the different approaches to the scientific study of intelligence.
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and application of tests of personality and how these are administered.
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of personality theories and the relevance of such in real world applications
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and application of tests of intelligence and how these are administered.
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and relevance of the different approaches to the scientific study of personality
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate succinctness in presentation of academic material and argument.
On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate critical evaluation a theory of personality and use evidence to suport opinion.
|ARHOLIAD||Mid Term exam||
the midterm will include MCQs and short answer questions.
the exam will include MCQs and short answer questions
|TRAETHAWD||Critical evaluation essay||
This essay requires you to critically evaluate one of the theories from the module. You will need to give a brief summary of the theory, present arguments (supported by evidence) for and against the validity of the theory and you will need to demonstrate its real-world application (or lack of, or application of a better theory) by giving details of a recent use (supported by theory). The word count is short and you are therefore encouraged to develop a succinct way of writing.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
I will host office drop in sessions during week 9 (5th week of teaching semester) in which students can receive support and guidance on how to approach and write the essay. You are not expected to attend the sessions, but you should you wish to have some individualised guidance on how to approach your essay then you are encouraged to do so.
Core information will be delivered via lectures.
preparation prior to lectures, revision of lecture notes and/or podcasts. Essay preparation and production. Revision and preparation for exam.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Week 8 will be an optional session on critical writing and analysis. This skills-based class will prepare students for the essay requirements and will build on skills knowledge from Year 1. There will be no assessment of the content of this class.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-2014.html
I would recommend that you purchase, or obtain a library copy of either the 2010, or 2013 edition of:
Maltby, J., Day. L., and McCaskill, A. (2013 *or 2010) Personality, Individual Differences and Intelligence. Pearson Education. Harlow.
You will need to access, but do not need to purchase: Kaplan, R. M. and Saccuzzo, D. P (2005) Psychological testing - One chapter only, available in BU library.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 2 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 2 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 2 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 2 (BA/LP)
- CQ81: BA Psychology/Linguistics year 2 (BA/PL)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 2 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 2 (BA/SPP)
- C8X1: BSc Psychology with Child Language Development (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PCIE)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C8X9: BSC Psychology w.Chld Lng. Dvlpmnt year 2 (BSC/PSCLD)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 2 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 2 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)