Practical Journalism: ELD
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ifan Jones
This module will require students to build on the writing, broadcasting and newsgathering skills acquired in the Introduction to Journalism. This module will concentrate more specifically on newsgathering in council meetings, the courts and inquests. Students will be taught journalism law and the workings of local, national and devolved government, and then required to apply what they have learnt to writing articles in these fields. They will also develop further the practical writing and newsgathering skills learnt previously.
The course will teach students media law and how to report on the workings of government. They will gain practical experience in reporting from courts, inquests and council meetings. They will also be taught how to write and research news and feature articles, interviewing techniques, and how to cover running stories and elections.
A- to A*
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
C- to B+
Submitted work is competent throughout and may be distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It:
- Demonstrates good or very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws at least in parts on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
D- to D+
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Show a practical understanding of media law and the workings of local and national government, etc.
fulfil the requirements of personal communication in a variety of journalistic situations
show evidence of substantial technical media skills which are suitable for journalism
demonstrate an astute understanding of the requirements in order to produce items for the press and media
show evidence of substantial development in journalistic writing skills
At the end of the module, students will be able to show evidence of the development in the skills of collating and evaluating news.
|Virtual Newsrooms: 8 articles approx 300-800 words||25.00|
|News articles: 1/2 articles approx 500 words||37.50|
|News articles: 3/4 articles approx 500 words||37.50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Weekly practical work 1 hour x 11
Field trip 5 hour x 1
Weekly lectures of 1 hour x 11
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q5P5: BA Cymraeg gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 2 (BA/CN)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 2 (BA/ECI)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 2 (BA/ELJ)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 2 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 2 (BA/ELJO)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENGLC)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 2 (BA/FRJO)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 2 (BA/GJO)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 2 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HJIE)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 2 (BA/HN)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/JMSP)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 2 (BA/SPJO)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 3 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 3 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/FLMP)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/MSP)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 2 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 2 (LLB/LCMWI)