History Workplace Module S1
Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Karen Pollock
The placements seek to provide students with an understanding of the practical application of their academic knowledge of History, Welsh History or Archaeology to professional fields that are intimately associated with those disciplines.
The student normally spends one day a week during the appropriate semester, and in total about 70 hours, working in an archives office, an archaeological unit or a museum service undertaking specific tasks of a practical as well as an academic nature as given them by the officer(s) in charge. These typically include drawing up inventories, collating field evidence, drawing up catalogues of discrete manuscript or artefact collections, as well as at times dealing with public enquiries.
Currently the Department has agreements with most of the archive record offices in north Wales, but especially at Caernarfon and Llangefni, with the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, with Oriel Bangor and Oriel Môn at Llangefni and the regimental Museum at Caernarfon. Approved excavation training courses may qualify if of sufficient duration and rigour and conform to the Course Guidelines.
Students should also be aware that there are health and safety implications to all placements.
Threshold students (lower 40s) will demonstrate an appropriate range or depth of knowledge of at least parts of the workplace, and will make partly-successful attempts to frame an argument that engages with the practical work they carried out while in the workplace.
Good students (60s) will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria of the paragraphs above.
Excellent students (70s and above) will show this level of achievement across the criteria combined with particularly impressive depths of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Read select texts concerning archival practice or archaeological techniques or museum organisation.
Show regular attendance at the office of the relevant service or unit and adhere to the supervision and direction of the service officers and participate in the public role of that service or unit.
Undertake the searches and/or practical work within the normal sphere of the service or unit's activity.
Produce a report, project or similar work to the professional standard required by the service or unit.
|Work Project Report||100|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Detailed knowledge of the principles and practice of the placement will be gained through experience on the workplacement.
Private study and complilation of material in order to produce diary and essay
Five lectures which cover Health and Safety, CV writing, job search skills, interview skills and the assessment.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- problem solving to develop solutions to understand the past
- understanding the complexity of change over time; in specific contexts and chronologies
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- producing logical and structured arguments supported by relevant evidence
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- demonstrating a positive and can-do approach to practical problems
- demonstrating an innovative approach, creativity, collaboration and risk taking
- presenting effective oral presentations for different kinds of audiences, including academic and/or audiences with little knowledge of history
- preparing effective written communications for different readerships
- making effective and appropriate forms of visual presentation
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- making critical and effective use of information retrieval skills using paper-based and electronic resources
- collaborating effectively in a team via experience of working in a group
- appreciating and being sensitive to different cultures and dealing with unfamiliar situations
- critical evaluation of one's own and others' opinions
- engaging with relevant aspects of current agendas such as global perspectives, public engagement, employability, enterprise, and creativity
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 2 (BA/ELH)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 2 (BA/FSH)
- V100: BA History year 2 (BA/H)
- V103: BA History and Archaeology year 2 (BA/HA)
- VV41: BA Herit, Archae & Hist year 2 (BA/HAH)
- VV42: BA Heritage, Archaeology & History with International Exp year 2 (BA/HAHIE)
- V1V9: BA History with Archaeology with International Experience year 2 (BA/HAIE)
- V1V4: BA History with Archaeology year 2 (BA/HAR)
- MVX1: BA History/Criminology year 2 (BA/HCR)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 2 (BA/HEC)
- RV11: BA History/French year 2 (BA/HFR)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 2 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/HFSIE)
- RV21: BA History/German year 2 (BA/HG)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HIE)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 2 (BA/HIT)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 2 (BA/HJ)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 2 (BA/HN)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 2 (BA/HSP)
- LVJ1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes year 2 (BA/HSW)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 2 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 2 (BA/MEMH)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 2 (BA/PRH)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 2 (BA/SH)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 2 (BA/SPH)
- LVK1: BA Polisi Cymdeithasol/Hanes year 2 (BA/SPWH)
- QV51: BA Cymraeg/History year 2 (BA/WH)
- VV12: BA Welsh History/History year 2 (BA/WHH)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 2 (LLB/LH)
- V101: MArts History year 2 (MARTS/HIST)