Gegenwartssprache II (Minor)
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Pogoda
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 20 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts and complex grammatical structures, students acquire reading and writing skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
Key Texts Davies, Winifred V. (1997) Essay-writing in German – A students’ guide, Manchester and New York: Manchester University Press. Clemmetson, Christa and Rod Hare (1998) Aufsatz! 2000 : German language essay writing, London : Hodder & Stoughton.
Websites SMLC offers a link list for all language students that covers the most important resources (newspapers, TV channels, online grammar and dictionaries, etc.) in the language(s) that they study: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/links-german.php.en (German online resources) http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/links-welsh.php.en (Welsh medium resources) Additionally, students are encouraged to consult: English-German Context Dictionary: http://www.linguee.com/
Other Learning Resources Students are provided with dossiers that contain all the necessary materials for their translation and applied language classes at the beginning of each semester.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts..
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both the target language and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To read and understand complex texts varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
Reflect and explain where necessary those differences between British and German society.
Demonstrate a high level of grammatical accuracy in oral and written work.
|Written assignment, including essay||Translation Exam Semester 2 (1 Ger-Eng/Welsh + 1 Eng-Ger)||50.00|
|Written assignment, including essay||Summary/Paraphrasing Exercise||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzg-3020.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 4 (BA/CHFG)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 4 (BA/CHIG)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 4 (BA/CHSG)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 4 (BA/FIG4)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 4 (BA/FSG4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 3 (BA/ISG4)