Advanced Spanish 1
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Miranda-Barreiro
This module aims to develop students' translation and reading comprehension skills through the study of texts varying in style and register. Students will be able to produce competent pieces of writing in Spanish and they will develop their oral and aural skills through conversation exercises and selected audio-visual materials varying in tone and register. Throughout the module they will learn new vocabulary and will incorporate key expressions into oral and written work. They will develop a more complex understanding of key grammatical structures and an ability to use grammatical constructions in written and oral expression, as well as being able to discuss and defend arguments and ideas in group and one-to-one discussions. While from developing linguistic skills, students will also learn to understand key aspects informing contemporary Hispanic identities.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B1+/B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This module enables post A-level students to develop written and oral communicative skills in Spanish by extending linguistic competence acquired at A-level. It comprises text-based classes in which students have the opportunity to develop translation and writing skills, as well as oral/aural classes, in which a range of audio and visual aids are employed to stimulate group discussions and debates. Throughout the module, students also have the opportunity to revise and consolidate key areas of grammar. The texts and materials used in this module are chosen from a range of sources including media and literary works in order to familiarise students with variations in tone and register. Through these materials, students will also gain an insight into particular Hispanic themes and issues that relate to contemporary life and society in the Spanish-speaking world. Learning outside of the classroom is supported through a co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio.
40-49%: Limited knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and Spanish-German. Basic understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Basic grasp of Spanish pronunciation and limited ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Limited ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish
50-69%: Good knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a good ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and Spanish-German. Good understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Good grasp of Spanish pronunciation and some ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in an excellent ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish -English and English-Spanish . Excellent understanding of aural and written material in Spanish . Excellent grasp of Spanish pronunciation and clear ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Clear ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish .
Engage with Spanish language in spoken form, understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context.
Employ key grammatical structures in written and oral work.
Demonstrate an ability to extract and use information presented in Spanish language sources to answer questions in the target language.
Produce accurate and idiomatically correct written Spanish.
Apply new areas of vocabulary to written work.
Understand and translate written texts varying in style and register.
Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary Spanish culture.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Self study portfolio||0|
|GWAITH CWRS||Creative Writing exercise||
An extended piece of writing in Spanish(ca. 500 words), which responds to a given text (e.g. an opinion piece, a letter, a piece of creative writing).
|ARHOLIAD||Written exam (2 hours)||
2 hour exam structured in two parts: 1) Spanish-English translation (ca. 200-250 words). 2) Translation of a set of 10 English sentences into Spanish, designed to test grammatical structures.
A one-to-one oral discussion of one of a selection of video/audio files (which will be seen/heard in advance), followed by Q&A on the Self-Study Portfolio
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 grammar lecture per week for 11 weeks per semester.
1 text-based seminar per week for 11 weeks per semester.
2 x conversation based seminars that include a cultural component per 11 weeks
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- 1. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- 2. The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 3. Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- 5. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 7. The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzs-1001.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
- LXS-2033: The Cinema of Spain
- LZS-2032: 3 Lang Project (3 major)
- LZS-2040: Spanish Language 1
- LXS-2028: Galician I
- LZS-1002: Advanced Spanish 2
- LZS-2020: Spanish Language 1 (3 Major)
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 1 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHGS)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHIS)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/CHSF)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/CHSG)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/CHSI)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 1 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 1 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSPIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 1 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 1 (BA/HSP)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 1 (BA/PRS)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 1 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 1 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LSE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LI)