Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Alys Conran
This module introduces students to writing the fantastic, broadly conceived – such as the supernatural, science fiction, magic realism, horror, etc. It draws on a range of literature in translation from French, German and Spanish traditions, which will be used as a starting point for students' own writing. This module focuses on texts from the 20th and 21st centuries, encompassing different literary genres such as novels, short stories, novellas and graphic novels. Students will gain an understanding of the multi-layered significance of the fantastic and its relationship to different political, social and cultural issues. Through a transnational creative-critical approach, this module will enhance students’ knowledge of the development of fantastic literatures from a global perspective, and encourage students to reflect on the writing of fantastic genres in different linguistic, historical, cultural and geographical contexts.
The module will begin with an introduction to theoretical approaches to fantastic literatures, and will then move on to exploring different linguistic and literary traditions, such as Francophone (such as science fiction in Franco-Belgian bande dessinée), Hispanophone (such as Latin American magic realism), and Germanophone (such as Franz Kafka and Alfred Kubin). This part of the module will be taught alongside LXE2025.
A series of workshops will run in parallel, during which students will develop their own writing of the fantastic. These will be for QXP3025 only.
Typically, the work of a first class candidate will show many of the following qualities:
Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas.
Excellent understanding and control of form.
Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation.
Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing.
Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
A 3rd class candidate’s work will show many of the following features:
Limited engagement with ideas.
Link between themes and form not always clear.
Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities.
Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process.
A 2(i) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality.
Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms.
Resourceful use of language.
Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing.
Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
C- i C+
A 2(ii) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas.
Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained.
Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused.
Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing.
Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
To be able to critically evaluate fantastic literary texts
To develop an understanding of the different genres of fantastic literatures
To create new and original fantastic texts in a widely informed literary context.
To become aware of the different expressions of the fantastic in a variety of linguistic and literary traditions
|Reading as a Writer||30.00|
|Creative Portfolio and Commentary||70.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Creative Writing Seminar
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 3 (BA/ENCWP)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/FRCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/GERCW)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 3 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/SPCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/ECI)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 3 (BA/ELCW)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 3 (BA/ENGL)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENGLC)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ENIE)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BA/J)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (MARTS/ELCW)