Composition Year 1
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Guto Puw
To teach students how to compose in a structured and guided way, using examples from early twentieth century as a guide.
To illustrate how the main compositional principles of harmony, rhythm, motivic development and structure evolved during the early part of the twentieth century and to show their relevance to composition in the twenty-first century.
To present students with tools of composition to use as they wish.
To teach students the basics of instrumentation and orchestration, and to look at vocal writing.
To discuss issues of score layout and presentation, whether processed or hand-written.
This course will introduce students to some of the compositional techniques used in the twentieth and twenty first centuries and show how harmony, rhythm, structure, instrumentation and pitch have evolved, presenting students with the basic tools for composition. The first half of the course will look at these techniques in relation to a number of important musical styles that evolved during the twentieth century. The course will also consider individual instruments and their particular characteristics, in addition to vocal writing. Students are then encouraged to try out these techniques in exercises and assignments, which will be set throughout the course..
To compose showing some use of basic twentieth-century harmonic, rhythmic and structural elements, and an understanding of instruments and layout.
To compose showing a clear understanding of twentieth-century harmonic, rhythmic and structural elements, and to be able to write practically for the instruments used and lay out scores correctly.
To compose showing imaginative and innovative use of twentieth-century harmonic, rhythmic and structural elements, and to be able to write practically and idiomatically for the instruments used, laying out scores according to publishing principles.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to develop an individual compositional style, based on twentieth-century models;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to acquire an understanding of basic concepts of instrumentation/orchestration, by writing idiomatically for particular instruments/voices;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to confidently develop musical ideas and material to form a coherent, consistent and imaginative composition.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to acquire an awareness of specific twentieth-century repertoire and should be able to show differentiation of different idioms of style and genre from this period.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class Test 1||
Repertoire Test that involves the various composition techniques and music examples that have been discussed during the lectures and seminars in Semester 1.
EXACT DATE TBC
|GWAITH CWRS||Main Assignment 1||
Compose a piece of around 4 minutes' duration for a Wind Quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon).
Full details will be issued within the Module Handbook.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class test 2||
Repertoire Test that involves the various composition techniques and music examples that have been discussed during the lectures and seminars in Semester 2.
EXACT DATE TBC
|GWAITH CWRS||Main Assignment 2||
Compose a piece of around 5 minutes in duration, for between eight and ten performers from a given list.
Full details are given within the Module Handbook.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1||
Compose a piece of up to 1.30–2 min for solo piano.
Full details incuded within the Module Handbook.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2||
Compose a short piece (ca. 1-2 minutes in length) for flute, viola and harp OR flute, vibraphone and harp.
Full details incuded within the Module Handbook.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
22 lectures (1 hour each), held weekly throughout the year
10 seminars (1 hour each), held fortnightly throughout the year
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-1011.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- QW5H: Cymraeg Creadigol gyda Cherddoriaeth Boblogaidd year 1 (BA/CCYCB)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)