Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
To compose acousmatic 'sonic art' using sound as the creative medium, and digital studio technology as the means.
To encourage bold artistic experimentation and the development of musical ideas beyond conventional notions of 'music'.
Through composition, to explore the possibilities of a variety of innovative digital technologies and to become adept in their use.
To study the compositional techniques of a variety of acousmatic composers, and to apply the lessons learned to the composition of original musical works.
To consider aesthetic, philosophical and musicological issues of relevance to acousmatic composition, and to explore the implications of these through the act of composing.
To contribute to the personal development of student composers through the development of their creativity as individuals.
The word ‘acousmatic’ describes something we can hear but not see. Acousmatic Music is experimental sonic art which uses sound as its raw material, and multiple loudspeakers as its mode of delivery. It has been described as the art of projected sounds which is “shot and developed in the studio, projected in halls, like cinema”.
This module aims to develop your skills in acousmatic composition. It has a creative emphasis, and seeks to equip you with the basic technological, compositional and aesthetic knowledge and understanding necessary for acousmatic composition
The composition displays some limited creative imagination, with restricted control of musical materials, and minimum understanding of the capabilities of acousmatic resources. There is scant evidence of a generally intellectual approach.
The composition displays a good level of creative imagination, with good control and elaboration of musical materials, based on technical competence in use of acousmatic resources. There is also evidence of intellectual acumen.
The composition displays a high level of creative imagination, with emergent individuality of compositional voice, skilful control and elaboration of musical materials, and technical mastery of acousmatic resource. There is also evidence of high level of ability at conceptual thought, penetration of issues, originality of approach and/or insight.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to work effectively with sonic materials and resources.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to work with the tools and techniques of the composition studio.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to critically evaluate their own work.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to compose with a degree of creative independence.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to apply an understanding of acousmatic music theory and concepts to creative work.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to compose acousmatic music which could offer an engaging listening experience.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1 - Recording and Developing Sources||25|
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2 - Gesture, texture and articulation||25|
|GWAITH CWRS||Main Assignment - Acousmatic Composition||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 weekly studio-based lectures of 1.5 – 2 hours. Other classes coinciding with an acousmatic concert or the visit of a composer or ensemble may also be arranged as appropriate.
11 weekly studio-based seminars of 1.5-2 hours.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-2235.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)