20th Century Women Composers
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Rhiannon Mathias
generate an enhanced awareness of the cultural, gender and social issues inherent in twentieth-century Western music
introduce outstanding pieces by professional women composers of the twentieth century
examine in depth the ways in which these composers and their works have been received in their own time and in subsequent periods
- sharpen methodological tools for a critical and differentiated understanding of music historiography
Musicology has in recent years been enriched by research that highlights the contribution made by women to Music & Music History.This module forms an introduction to some of the most important women musicians of the twentieth century, including:
a. British: Ethel Smyth (1858-1944), Elisabeth Lutyens (1906-83), Grace Williams (1906-77) and Elizabeth Maconchy (1907-94).
b. Europe: Cecile Chaminade (1857-1944), Germaine Tailleferre (1892-1983), Nadia (1887-1979) and Lili Boulanger (1893-1918).
c. American: Amy Beach (1867-1944), Marion Bauer (1882-1955), Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901-53) and Louise Talma (1906-96).
d. Established Contemporary Voices: Thea Musgrave (1928-), Sofia Gubaidulina (1931-), Kaija Saariaho (1952-) and Chen Yi (1953-).
Work which displays basic knowledge of the subject, with limited ability at conceptual thought and musical analysis at Level 6, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression
Work which displays a sound grasp of the subject, adequate control of music-analytical and critical tools and conceptual engagement at Level 6, expressed intelligibly and interestingly
Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject and mastery of music-analytical and critical tools, with evidence of further study, outstanding intellectual engagement and originality of approach and/or insight, expressed convincingly and compellingly
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate advanced skills in communication.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to synthesise a range of concepts within a critical evaluation of the knowledge gained about the contributions made to twentieth-century music by important women composers and teachers.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to critically evaluate and synthesise scholarly literature concerning cultural, gender and social issues inherent in twentieth-century Western music.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to utilise analytical concepts in the discussion of one or more extracts demonstrating formal procedures and structural techniques used in key pieces by relevant composers.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate a critical engagement with methodological tools for a critical and differentiated understanding of music historiography.
Topics to be arranged with module tutor; typically delivered in class on a week agreed in advance with the tutor.
Essay questions given in the module handbook, distributed at the start of the module.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One individual tutorial in preparation for student presentation (15 minutes) One individual consultation in preparation for student essay (15 minutes)
Eleven weekly lectures (2 hours each x 11 weeks)
Including preparation for classes and assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-3009.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)