Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Guto Puw
To nurture a wide understanding of the music of Ligeti
To examine styles, influences and main characteristics of the composition of a wide cross-section of his compositions.
The ability to position his importance within the musical developments of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century.
The Hungarian born György Ligeti established himself as one of the most distinguished composers from the second half of the twentieth century. This module will focus on a selection of his most well-known compositions (which features his orchestral Atmosphères and Melodien, his Violin Concerto, the opera Le Grand Macabre, the piano Études and selected chamber and vocal pieces), assessing his artistic contribution within the European cultural developments of the time while placing their significance within the composer’s creative and historical background. Close attention will be paid in identifying his distinctive style and composition techniques, and on how they shaped his independent and uncompromising creative output.
The work shows some understanding and knowledge of the subject, with fairly good, albeit somewhat limited, expression of ideas. Limited awareness of some topics and a basic ability to conceptualise.
The work shows good understanding of the subject, with standard expression of ideas. A good awareness of topics, as well as an acute intellectual ability.
The work shows thorough understanding of the subject, with evidence of further research, wider ideas, original thought, and with excellent expression.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate skills in communicating ideas and expressing views effectively (oral presentation).
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to assess Ligeti’s historical significance, placing his music in context with other European cultural developments.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to evaluate the compositional approach of Ligeti.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to discuss aspects of the music and career of Ligeti.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate skills in communicating ideas and expressing views effectively (written essay).
Essay topics are given in the module handbook.
A short presentation of 6 minutes during the class that presents an opportunity for the student to further explore one of Ligeti's compositions or a specific area of his life and/or music.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 weekly lectures, each lasting up to 2 hours, with a Reading Week during the semester.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-3189.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)