Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Chris Collins
This module aims to equip students with the essential skills required for conducting choral and instrumental ensembles. It addresses the technical skills involved, in addition to skills relating to rehearsing, rehearsal-planning, and other administrative functions.
Students on this module acquire practical experience of conducting choirs and orchestras. In addition, the technique of other conductors is analysed, and issues relating to performance practice and repertoire choice are considered. The module also addresses issues surrounding intellectual property and financial matters (such as contracts for hiring music and soloists). It prepares students for direct experience of conducting, working with both professional and amateur musicians (including children and musicians who do not read musical notation).
Technical skills: 1. Beat patterns 2. Posture, position and eye contact 3. Cueing 4. Starting and stopping 5. Conductor as accompanist (working with soloists) 6. Using a baton 7. Conducting unmeasured and aleatoric music
Practical skills: 1. Rehearsal planning 2. Score preparation 3. Choral warm-ups 4. Obtaining scores and parts 5. Contracting and working with professional musicians 6. Working with amateurs
Students will gain direct experience of conducting a choir and an instrumental group in workshops during the course of the module.
C- i C+
C– to C+: The student will demonstrate solid leadership of the choir or ensemble, will rehearse effectively, and will be able to conduct a satisfactory performance. In their analysis of technique and interpretation, they will demonstrate fair skills of critical thinking.
D– to D+: The student will demonstrate satisfactory leadership of the choir or ensemble, will rehearse adequately, and will be able to hold a performance together. In their analysis of technique and interpretation, they will demonstrate adequate skills of critical thinking.
A– to A**: The student will demonstrate complete command of the choir or ensemble, will rehearse economically and productively, and will be able to conduct a distinctive performance. In their analysis of technique and interpretation, they will demonstrate originality in their skills of critical thinking.
B– to B+: The student will demonstrate good leadership of the choir or ensemble, will rehearse meaningfully, and will be able to conduct a good performance. In their analysis of technique and interpretation, they will demonstrate strong skills of critical thinking.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to conduct a choir or instrumental group effectively.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate and apply an understanding of rehearsal techniques.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to communicate ideas effectively.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate skills of critical thinking in relation to musical repertoire, their own conducting technique, and that of others.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate an understanding of advanced conducting skills.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1 (critique)||
Students are required to write a critique of the conducting style and technique of a professional conductor of their choice, with detailed reference to video evidence
Students must conduct a short piece of music of their own choice, scored for choir or orchestra. They will have 15 minutes to rehearse the work, and will then conduct a performance of it.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2 (rehearsal plan and score preparation)||
Students are required to plan a series of rehearsals in preparation for a hypothetical concert performance. In addition, they must produce a prepared score, annotated for use in this performance scenario.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 workshops, weekly, 3 hours each.
Private practice, directed study, and research for assessed tasks.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no necessary resource implications for students, though they may wish to buy a baton. The School has a limited number that can be borrowed.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxp-2308.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)