Agroforestry Systems & Prac.
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eefke Mollee
This module is core for MSc Agroforestry & Food Security (residential and part-time) and is suitable both for those interested in temperate and tropical agroforestry. It introduces the concepts behind this land use system and ways in which it is practiced around the world. Topics covered are the principles of ecological interactions, agroforestry practices across the world, and the social, economic and ecosystem benefits. It is also available to students on the MSc Forestry and MSc Tropical Forestry programmes.
Biophysical principles and interactions
Agroforestry and livelihood systems
Food security & environmental resilience
Agricultural components of agroforestry systems
Temperate and tropical agroforestry systems
Agroforestry and conservation
Be able to demonstrate knowledge of, with few factual errors, global agroforestry systems and how their constituent components (including humans) interact and compete. Be able to develop simple working models of ecological interactions. Be able to collate and synthesise material for a case study and present it, orally or in written form, to a descriptive level.
In addition to above, demonstrate an ability to think critically about the roles of agroforestry in sustainable land use and rural livelihoods.
Achieve an A grade overall for the module. In addition to the above, be able to present well reasoned arguments for and against particular approaches to sustainable land use where agroforestry might be appropriate. Present clear evidence of wide reading around the subject and an ability to analyse and synthesise arguments and information.
Be able to analyse and classify agroforestry practices based upon their components and their various spatial and temporal arrangements
Be able to evaluate the key ecological interactions between trees and other components in agroecosystems.
Be able to demonstrate an understanding of how agroforestry practices can contribute to ecosystem service provision at multiple scales of analysis.
Be able to recognise the scope and limitations of agroforestry practices taking into account local ecological and socio-economic conditions.
|GWAITH CWRS||Livelihood and Land use (LLU) diagram||30|
|ADDRODDIAD||Practitioner Activity: Agroforestry Design||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
This module has two 2-hour scheduled tutorials with the module that are part of assessed assignments, the critical review paper and the livelihood and land use diagram.
Originally for residential students, a field visit to agroforestry sites of interest in the vicinity of Bangor, while distant learning students are encouraged to undertake a day's field visit, and share their experiences via the discussion forum hosted on the Blackboard site. However due to current COVID-19 conditions instead a seminar will be organised where different cases from various parts of the world are presented and discussed.
Personal study to support material delivered in lectures, field site visits and seminars.
Lectures delivered face-to-face for residential students and on-line via Panopto/Collaborate or Teams for distance learning students. Recordings will also be available via Blackboard afterwards. Sessions will be interactive and form a combination of classical lectures and discussion groups.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Appreciate the interdisciplinary and/or reciprocal nature of relationships within the subject area.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of processes through the study of relevant systems.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ddl-4004.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D4BA: MSc Agroforestry and Food Security year 1 (MSC/AGFS)
- D4BB: MSc Agroforest & Food Security (Dist Learn) year 1 (MSC/AGFSDL)
- D4BD: MSc Agroforestry and Food Security (TRANSFOR-M exch prog) year 1 (MSC/AGFSTFM)
- DDAB: MSc Agroforestry year 1 (MSC/AGRO)
- D3AX: MSc Environmental Forestry (TRANSFOR-M exchange programme) year 1 (MSC/EFORTFM)
- D5AA: MSc Sustainable Tropical Forestry year 2 (MSC/STFOR)
- D5AC: MSc Tropical Forestry (Distance Learning) year 1 (MSC/TF)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- D3AO: Certificate Forestry (Distance Learning) year 1 (CERT/FORDL)
- D5AG: PGCert Tropical Forestry year 1 (CERT/TF)
- D3AP: Diploma Forestry (Distance Learning) year 1 (DIP/FORDL)
- D5AH: PGDip Tropical Forestry year 1 (DIP/TF)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 4 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 5 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 5 (MFOR/FORP)
- D3AQ: MSc Forestry (Distance Learning) year 1 (MSC/FORDL)
- D5AA: MSc Sustainable Tropical Forestry year 1 (MSC/STFOR)