Adv Topics in Organic Chem
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Patrick Murphy
To illustrate strategies to synthesise complex natural products and to apply concepts of retrosynthesis to strategic planning.
Strategic approaches to the total synthesis of selected natural products are examined and discussed - specific examples are varied year by year. We will study four basic classes of secondary metabolites: acetates, terpenes, shikimates and alkaloids.
Course Team: (24 lectures) - Dr Patrick Murphy
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING - None (literature mentioned in handouts) RECOMMENDED READING 1. Organic Chemistry, Jonathan Clayden, Nick Greeves, Stuart Warren and Peter Wothers (2nd Ed 2012) Classics in Total Synthesis: Targets, Strategies, Methods (Chemistry) 1st Edition by K. C. Nicolaou, E. J. Sorensen SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS - None
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is basic b) Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; c) Transferable skills are at a basic level.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013 or MSc/MRes students, the threshold criteria are set as follows:
Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the assignment; conceptual understanding is acceptable.
Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved and solutions are acceptable. Performance in transferable skills is sound.
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is good b) Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable. c) Performance in transferable skills is sound and shows no significant deficiencies.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013 or MSc/MRes students, the threshold criteria are set as follows: Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the assignment and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable. Performance
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is outstanding. a) Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem. b) Experimental work is exemplary and shows a through analysis and appraisal of experimental results, with appropriate suggestions for improvement. c) Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013 or MSc/MRes students, the threshold criteria are set as follows: Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the assignment; conceptual understanding is outstanding. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem. Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
Students should be able to select appropriate techniques and procedures to execute the synthesis of complex organic molecules.
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||Retrosynthesis assignment||
students will be assigned a compound to analyse via retrosynthesis principles and present in class for discussion
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
This module includes 24 hours of lectures and tutorials, where active participation is required. It has been divided into three segments; one is on electronic structure and reactivity on conjugated PI-functional aromatic systems and another one is on for the synthesis of marine and terrestral natural products, the third one is an introduction to glycobiology. Private study 76 hours.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- CC4 The ability to recognise and analyse problems and plan strategies for their solution
- CC5 Skills in the generation, evaluation, interpretation and synthesis of chemical information and data
- CC8 The ability to adapt and apply methodology to the solution of unfamiliar problems
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS3 Problem-solving skills, relating to qualitative and quantitative information
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- SK1 Are fully conversant with major aspects of chemical terminology
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK3 Gain knowledge of a range of inorganic and organic materials
- PS16 The ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-skilled teams
- SK4 Demonstrate, with supporting evidence, their understanding of synthesis, including related isolation, purification and characterisation techniques
- SK9 Read and engage with scientific literature
- CC1 the ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts,concepts,principles and theories relating to theSubject areasCovered in theirProgramme
- CC2 the ability to applysuch knowledge and understanding to thesolution of qualitative and quantitativeProblems that are mostly of a familiar nature
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F104: MChem Chemistry year 4 (MCHEM/CH)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CHIE)
- F101: MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CIND)