Early Medieval Wales WLH
Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nancy Edwards
Archaeological evidence, used alongside documentary sources and other types of evidence such as place-names, is critical to our understanding of the evolution of the early medieval kingdoms of Wales c AD 350-1050, the lives people led and the expansion of Christianity.
- This module aims to give students a critical understanding of the archaeological evidence, both structural and artefactual, relevant to the study of early medieval Wales and how it has been interpreted;
- To set this alongside other relevant evidence e.g. written sources, place-names, where appropriate;
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills to understand its significance and debates surrounding its interpretation.
- Students will be expected to consider comparable evidence from elsewhere in Britain and Ireland, where relevant.
This module will explore the major types of archaeological and other relevant evidence for early medieval Wales c. AD 350-1050 and their analysis and interpretation. It will consider geography and the major types of evidence in addition to the archaeology; the nature and extent of the Roman impact and its continuation in the post-Roman period; the emergence of the early medieval Welsh kingdoms; inscriptions; settlement archaeology – e.g. hillforts, unenclosed settlements and comparative evidence elsewhere; exploitation of the landscape, the nature of economy and industry; the archaeological evidence for early Christianity and the development of the Welsh church and comparative evidence elsewhere; early Christian art; relations with Anglo-Saxon England; and the Viking impact.
(lower Ds) will demonstrate an appropriate range or depth of knowledge of at least parts of the relevant field, and will make at least partly-successful attempts to frame an argument which engages with historical controversies.
(B) Will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria in the paragraph above
(A) Will show this solid achievement across the criteria combined with particularly impressive depths of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Be able to carry out research for, plan and write an essay/report on a relevant subject to the module demonstrating critical understanding of the material analysed.
Be able to present and evaluate relevant archaeological and other information in the form of an oral presentation using Powerpoint.
Be able to present relevant analysis and arguments in the form of examination answers, and back these with appropriate archaeological and other relevant evidence.
Demonstrate an ability to analyse and evaluate a variety of arguments and opinions concerning the interpretation of the archaeological and other relevant evidence.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of the major developments and changes in archaeological evidence for the period and the significance of these.
Demonstrate an in depth knowledge of the main types of archaeological evidence for early medieval Wales and an awareness of relevant comparitive evidence
|ARHOLIAD||Two hour unseen examination||
Two hour unseen examination. Answer three questions,
|ASTUDIAETH ACHOS||Case study of site(s) or artefact(s)||
Case-study of early medieval site(s) or artefact(s) in Wales
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Seminar Presentation with Powerpoint||
Students will prepare a 5-10 minute presentation on a given topic with Powerpoint which will include appropriate illustrations. This will be followed by all students in the seminar group discussing the topic in its wider context.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures provide module framework
In depth seminars to provide opportunities for presentations and discussion of range of material
Fieldtrip and museum visit to see relevant sites and artefacts
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- problem solving to develop solutions to understand the past
- understanding the complexity of change over time; in specific contexts and chronologies
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- producing logical and structured arguments supported by relevant evidence
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- presenting effective oral presentations for different kinds of audiences, including academic and/or audiences with little knowledge of history
- preparing effective written communications for different readerships
- making effective and appropriate forms of visual presentation
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- making critical and effective use of information retrieval skills using paper-based and electronic resources
- critical evaluation of one's own and others' opinions
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
In module handbook
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- V100: BA History year 2 (BA/H)
- V1V9: BA History with Archaeology with International Experience year 2 (BA/HAIE)
- V1V4: BA History with Archaeology year 2 (BA/HAR)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/HF)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HIE)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 2 (MARTS/HIE)
- V101: MArts History year 2 (MARTS/HIST)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 2 (BA/ELH)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 2 (BA/FSH)
- V103: BA History and Archaeology year 2 (BA/HA)
- VV41: BA Herit, Archae & Hist year 2 (BA/HAH)
- VV42: BA Heritage, Archaeology & History with International Exp year 2 (BA/HAHIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- MVX1: BA History/Criminology year 2 (BA/HCR)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 2 (BA/HEC)
- RV11: BA History/French year 2 (BA/HFR)
- RV21: BA History/German year 2 (BA/HG)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 2 (BA/HIT)
- RV32: BA History and Italian (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HITIE)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 2 (BA/HMUIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 2 (BA/HSP)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 2 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 2 (BA/MEMH)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 2 (BA/PRH)
- VVV2: BA Philosophy and Religion and Welsh History year 2 (BA/PRWH)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 2 (BA/SH)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 2 (BA/SPH)
- LVL1: BA Pol Cymd/Han Cymru year 2 (BA/SPWWH)
- LVH1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes Cymru year 2 (BA/SWWH)
- QV51: BA Cymraeg/History year 2 (BA/WH)
- V104: BA Welsh History and Archaeology year 2 (BA/WHAR)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 2 (BA/WHFS)
- VV12: BA Welsh History/History year 2 (BA/WHH)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 2 (BA/WHMU)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 2 (BA/WHS)
- QVM2: BA Welsh History/Cymraeg year 2 (BA/WHW)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 2 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LHI)