Portfolio Academic skills
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Tommie Du Preez
Do you want to achieve the highest grades possible throughout your University career? Do you want to develop key transferable skills that will help you to secure your dream job, and allow you to thrive in the workplace? If the answer to these questions is yes then this module is for you. Designed to integrate you to University studies, this module will equip you with the fundamental skills, tips, tricks and time-savers to maximise your chances of producing first-class assignments in all of your modules. For example, you will be coached in how to write-assignments to University standard (which can be quite different from the writing you may have experienced before). Through fun informal exercises in class, you will gain experience and confidence in delivering engaging pitches and verbal presentations. You will also learn how to navigate and get the most out of the University’s online study resource platforms. The course is delivered by two established and well-published academics who both obtained first-class sport science degrees from Bangor University, achieving the highest marks in their respective cohorts.
The course will equip you with a range of skills that will help you to successfully navigate your studies and “be the best that you be” at Bangor University and in your future career. For example, the course covers topics such as; a) “How to get the most out of your lectures”; b) “How to plan your time effectively at University”; c) “How to write scientific essays and reports at University-level”; d) “How to identify optimal scientific sources”; e) “How to present and reference your essays”; f) “How to think on your feet and deliver professional “impromptu” speeches”; g) “How to confidently deliver formal scientific talks and presentations”. This module is intensively taught in the first few weeks of Year 1. Everything you do in this module is designed to help you achieve the best possible experience and grades in all the other modules you will study.
C- i C+
C (50-59%) Mediocre - A clearer understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated ability to analyse information and applying of these skills. Evidence of additional reading and reflective writing skills. Few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
B (60-69%) Good/Very good - A good understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated abiltiy to analyse information and applying of these skills. Evidence of reading and reflective writing skills. Very few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
A (70-100%) Excellent - An excellent understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated ability to analyse information and are able to apply these skills. Extensive wide reading and reflective writing skills. No inaccuracies and misconceptios evident.
D (40-49%) Adequate - Basic understanding of higher education learning skills but some errors present. Limited evidence of additional reading and basic reflective writing skills. Some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
On successful completion of the module students will be able to:
- Develop strategies to enable successful completion of assessments in other modules
- Read and identify strengths and weaknesses in scientific literature
- Disseminate scientific information
- Utilise transferable skills to enhance employability
|Literature search and referencing||15|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be second week of July 2018)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1021.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPSF)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)