Overseas Field Course to Tenerife
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof David Jones
To observe some contemporary issues from environmental science, geography (human and physical) and conservation.
To visit and observe a range of field sites where diverse climate geology, soils, plant and animal communities can be examined.
To participate in group discussions about the issues raised during visits.
To develop a critical and analytical attitude to the natural and managed environment.
To develop skills in designing and executing a research project.
A one-week field course on the environmentally diverse islands of Tenerife and La Gomera. You will be taken to a variety of sites which demonstrate a range of rock, soil and vegetation types, landscapes, volcanology and a range of conservation and sustainability issues. Some of these will involve meeting and discussion with local experts. You will spend time towards the end of the week working as pairs or small teams on a project designed by you and evolved in discussion with the teaching staff.
Grade D- to D+ Basic knowledge of subject and ability to write descriptive reports.
Grade C- to B+ Sound knowledge of subject, ability to contribute constructively to debate, ability to write perceptive and well-argued reports.
Grade A- and above Sound knowledge of subject and ability to pull together various elements of the course material. Evidence of background reading. Lively, frequent and pertinent contributions to group discussions.
Know how to design and execute a small research project including (I) undertaking fieldwork in teams, (II) data analysis and statistics, (III) undertaking a literature search and assimilating information, (IV) writing a scientific report.
Demonstrate an understanding of the physical, biological and social processes that have shaped Tenerife and La Gomera at a range of temporal scales
Show a critical understanding of the environmental issues exemplified on Tenerife
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Field log book||
Field log book describing the events of the Tenerife field course.
|TRAETHAWD||Tenerife specialist essay||
Essay on a topical issue pertaining to the Canary Islands
Field experiment report form the Tenerife field course
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Work on the project reports and essay which is required to complete the module's assignments.
4*1 hour introductory lectures. This provides basic background on the soils, geology, water resources and socioeconomics of the Canary Islands. It also provides information on the logistics of the fieldcourses and provides an opportunity for students to ask questions about the fieldcourse.
4*1 hour drop-in sessions. This provides students with the opportunity to get feedback on their experimental project results and ways in which to undertake statistical data analysis and presentation and the production of the final report.
Day-long field visits over a 1 week period visiting a diverse array of sites on the islands of Tenerife and La Gomera. The days run from 9-6 each day.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students are required to pay for their travel and accommodation on the trip.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3305.html
See Blackboard and the course manual for further details.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 4 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/ATMEP)
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/FP)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 3 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 4 (BSC/WLCP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 4 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)