Health & Safety in Engineering (Work-Based)
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr David Edward Perkins
This modules aims to give learners the necessary tools and skills to identify potential hazards and risks in the workplace that could potentially be life threatening. They will learn how Health and Safety regulations govern businesses and identify the processes in place to ensure their companies comply with these regulations.
Indicative content includes:
Health and Safety in an engineering organisation
- Demonstrate the ability to operate effectively in complex and unpredictable situations within professional contexts
- Describe the key areas covered and necessary actions set out in your organisation’s health and safety policies and procedures
- Outline the main health and safety responsibilities of self, the employer or manager, and others in the work setting
- Explain how to access additional support and information relating to health and safety
- Describe organisational procedures for responding to and reporting accidents at work
Health and Safety risk assessment
- Explain why it is important to assess health and safety hazards posed by the work setting or by particular activities
- Explain your organisation’s procedures for assessing the risks associated with engineering systems
- Explain how and when to report potential health and safety risks that have been identified
Health and safety legislation and practice in the engineering workplace
- Identify legislation relating to health and safety in an engineering setting, and the role of standards including ISO4501
- Describe safe practices for storing, using and disposing of hazardous substances and materials
- Describe safe practices for the disposal of equipment to ensure protection of the environment and the role of standards including ISO14001
- Explain how to reduce the risk of injury from manual handling operations in the workplace
- Describe the policies and procedures in place to ensure fire safety in the workplace
Engineering Processes safety
- Understand the legal framework for process safety and environmental protection in the UK and elsewhere.
- Express understanding of the scientific underpinnings of and influence of public opinion on current environmental issues and process hazards.
- Use relevant techniques to estimate the risk resulting from processes and be able to judge acceptability of risk.
- Be familiar with safety management method used to control risk in process plant operation and know how to control hazards and emissions to comply with legislative limits.
- Appreciate the importance of sound ethical values when dealing with safety and environmental issues in the practice of chemical engineering.
- Ensure that potential safety issues related to the project operator, the environment, the process and the product are considered at all stages.
- Understand the theory of electrical equipment design for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.
- Have an appreciation of the ATEX directive and certification related to the use of electrical and mechanical equipment in explosive atmospheres.
- Be able to specify equipment with suitable safety ratings for different environments.
- Understand intrinsic safety concepts including conducting the necessary calculations and designing safety loops.
- Be able to select, install and terminate such equipment.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Appreciate the types of Health and Safety Policies existing within an engineering organisation and their purpose.
Demonstrate the appropriate use of academic conventions.
Explain legislation governing Health and Safety in the workplace and its impact.
Understand engineering process safety within a workplace.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Tutor-directed private study, including preparation.
|Practical classes and workshops||
A series of interactive lectures, seminars, workshops, web-based learning, problem solving exercises, individual and group activities and linked tutorials. Consideration of case study materials, journals and guest speakers will form an important part of the delivery illustrating the application of themes to real-world situations.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H623: BSc Appd Electrical/Electron Eng Sys (Degree Apprenticeship) year 1 (BSC/AEEES)
- H301: BSc Appd Mechanical Engineering Systems (Deg Apprenticeship) year 1 (BSC/AMES)