Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Roger Giddings
To provide an introduction to the principles and analysis of analogue and digital communications systems.
• Time and frequency representation of both discrete and continuous signals. Fourier series and Fourier transforms. • Convolution and Sampling theorem. • Time-limited and Band-limited signals. Single and double-sided spectra. • Amplitude modulation – AM, DSB-SC, SSB, VSB, Signal Spectrum and Power Efficiency. • Frequency and Phase modulation – Signal Spectrum, Carson’s rule. • Pulse Amplitude Modulation – Instantaneous, Natural and Flat-Top Sampling. • Instantaneous Sampling, Nyquist criteria and Aliasing. • Quantisation and Pulse Code Modulation – bit rate, quantisation noise and companding. • Digital modulation (Baseband and passband). • Matched Filters and Inter-Symbol Interference
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Know the main characteristics of analogue communication systems.
|Can state theorems and be able to visually apply them to familiar cases. Able to calculate the Fourier Series/Transforms of simple functions.||Can apply appropriate technique to obtain frequency representation of all continuous and familiar discrete signals.||Has excellent knowledge and understanding of both techniques and theorems. Can apply them to unfamiliar situations.|
Know the main characteristics of digital communication systems.
|Can state the main amplitude and frequency modulation techniques and their relative merits. Can quantify the basic performance of simple systems.||Can calculate most of the relevant performance indicators of most familiar analogue communication system.||Can calculate the relevant performance indicators of all familiar analogue communication system.|
Know the main characteristics and analytic expressions for both analogue and digital signals.
|Can state the main digital modulation techniques and their relative merits. Can quantify the basic performance of simple systems.||Can calculate the most relevant performance indicators of most familiar digital communication system.||Can calculate the relevant performance indicators of all familiar digital communication system.|
|Communications Assignment Part 1||10.00|
|Communications Assignment Part 2||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 x 1 hour lectures per week over 12 weeks
Study of lecture material and recommended text books.
4 x 1 hour tutorial distrubuted over 12 weeks
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 2 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ELE1)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (MENG/EEIE)