Digital Circuits and Design 2
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Iestyn Pierce
To build upon the basic knowledge of digital circuits gained from IME1006 and to prepare the students for digital signal processing and FPGA-based project work.
Review of Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, combinational circuits, programmable logic. CMOS logic.
Synchronous Finite State Machines. Analysis and synthesis of ‘Moore’ and ‘Mealy’ synchronous circuits. Partition Minimisation, State Assignment.
Asynchronous sequential circuits, analysis, avoiding races and hazards. Synthesis methods. Partition Minimisation for Asynchronous Circuits. State Merge.
Circuits for addition, subtraction and multiplication, including speed-up techniques. Carry-look ahead, array multipliers. Multi-operand addition. Wallace and Dadda Trees.
The problems of testing complex digital circuits. Path sensitisation.
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Understand the principles of synchronous digital circuit design.
|Can design and analyse basic synchronous circuits. Knows difference between a Moore and a Mealy FSM. Can draw simple CMOS gate schematics. Can state the definition of equivalent states.||Can design and analyse complex synchronous circuits with some guidance. Can explain the operation of all basic CMOS logic structures. Can perform partition minimisation correctly.||Can design complex synchronous circuits to meet specification with minimal guidance. Shows good judgement in evaluating designs.|
Understand the principles of asynchronous digital circuit design.
|Can use Karnaugh maps and Boolean algebra to design and analyse basic asynchronous circuits. Can describe what is meant by a hazard in an asynchronous circuit. Can state the conditions of state compatibility.||Can design and analyse complex asynchronous circuits with some guidance. Understands the risk of hazards and can design hazard-free asynchronous circuits. Can perform partition and merge correctly.||Can design complex asynchronous circuits to meet specification with minimal guidance. Shows good judgement in evaluating designs.|
Understand the structure and operation of common circuits used for computer arithmetic.
|Can describe and explain the operation of circuits for addition and subtraction.||Can describe and explain the operation of standard circuits for multiplication. Can explain the principles of carry-look ahead adders. Can draw a Wallace tree for a given problem.||Can derive Wallace and Dadda trees for a problem, and compare them.|
Show a basic knowledge of the common approaches to the testing of digital circuits.
|Can state the algorithm for path sensitisation testing for stuck-at states in simple circuits. Can state the expression for the number of k-node stuck-at faults in a circuit.||Shows sound knowledge of path sensitisation testing. Can derive the expression for the number of k-node stuck-at faults in a circuit.||Can sensibly evaluate the resulting set of test vectors. Shows understanding of the limitations of test methods.|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Worked examples, design problems, attempting tutorial questions, completing past exam papers, revision.
2 x 1 hour lectures per week for 12 weeks 4 x 1 hour tutorials delivered in lecture slots
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H64B: BSc Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/CSE1)
- H603: BSc Computer Systems Engineering year 2 (BSC/CSENG)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 2 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 2 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 2 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (MENG/EEIE)