Practical Research Skills
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sam Oliver
You will develop practical research skills that enable you to answer a research question(s) in a concise scientific report using data collection, analysis and interpretation skills learnt on the course. These research skills are essential to develop for future courses on your degree (e.g. project proposal, research project, dissertation, etc). They are also important to develop for most careers beyond University. Indeed, researchers work across all industries and their analysis and report writing skills are vital for employers. Module Video: Watch Dr. Sam Oliver's module overview
During the course, you will develop many research skills that include developing your own research question and hypothesis; designing and completing data collections; performing and interpreting descriptive and inferential statistical analysis using SPSS; presenting statistics and data in tables and figures, and concise report writing.
This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials and workshops.
Important: Module failure that prevents you from passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be the fourth week of July 2022)
D- to D+ - Pass: Basic knowledge and limited understanding of research principles, design and statistics. Presentation of data is clear but may contain some errors. Statistical analysis is mostly correct. Only a basic interpretation of the statistical analysis is offered (e.g. limited discussion of practical significance). The work is organised but may contain some poor spelling and grammar.
A- to A - Excellent - Deep knowledge and understanding of research design, principles and statistics with excellent capacity to formulate and answer basic research questions. Excellent presentation of results and statistics. Correct statistics procedures performed with almost no statistics interpretation or calculation errors. Evidence of deeper understanding of some of the analyses (e.g. identification of assumptions and limitations, use of 1 or 2-tailed hypotheses, interpretation of the meaningfulness of the statistics). The statistical and practical findings of each analysis will be clear to the reader. The work is well organised and written with almost no typographical or grammar errors.
C- to C+ - Good – A good grasp of research principles, design and statistics demonstrating adequate knowledge and understanding with the capacity to formulate and answer basic research questions. Presentation of the data is clear. Mostly correct statistical procedures performed. Reasonable interpretation of statistical analysis but mostly surface level understanding shown (e.g. only the main finding of each analysis). This work is well organised but may contain a few spelling or grammar errors.
Be able to formulate and answer basic research questions
Be able to interpret the statistical outputs produced by SPSS
Be able to communicate data collected in a scientific report using appropriate statistics and figures or tables
Be able to analyse data with descriptive and inferential statistics (e.g., mean and standard deviation, t-tests, correlation, simple regression, ANOVA) using SPSS for Windows
Online MCQ exam that assesses understanding of basic descriptive and inferential statistics calculations including those derived from SPSS.
|Written assignment, including essay||Practical Research Skills Written Assignment||
Individual report that requires students to use statistical knowledge and SPSS skills learnt during the module to answer a group developed research question.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials, and workshops.
Private guided independent study includes individual research and reading time, peer discussion, and assessment preparation.
This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials, and workshops
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students are advised to bring laptops to lectures so they can practice using the statistical analysis program SPSS. It is advised students try to download this software ahead of starting the course. SPSS is free for students to download from Bangor University IT services. https://www.bangor.ac.uk/itservices/software-students.php.en. Notes. In previous years we have experienced some problems with tablets and chromebooks using SPSS. SPSS is available on all university computers.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1043.html
Vincent, W.J. & Weir J. (2012) Statistics in Kinesiology (4th Edition), Human Kinetics. ISBN 978-1450402545.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 1 (BA/GSPS)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 1 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C61N: BSc Adventure Sport Sci with Business Man (Subj to Validn) year 1 (BSC/ASSBM)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ASSP)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- CB70: BSc Sport, Health & Exercise Science with International Exp year 1 (BSC/SHSIE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPSF)
- C60P: BSc Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SPSP)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 1 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SSMP)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 1 (MSCI/SSIE)