Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
Project management skills are integral for many employability pathways. This module has been developed to help you carry out your own project in an area of your choosing. This choice may be based on future career aspirations, previous experience and expertise, or equally, just because you are passionate about a particular research question. However, your project should be driven by a goal to contribute in a meaningful way to the current knowledge base within a specific area of interest to you.
This module provides the opportunity to work closely with, and be supported by, an expert member of staff on a one-to-one or small group basis to help carry out your project ideas. You will have the opportunity to gain ethical approval on your proposal, before collecting primary data, designed to help answer a research question of particular interest to you and the field. This module provides the opportunity to put into practice the competencies gained throughout your Masters across a range of disciplines e.g. subject specific expertise and statistical analytical skills, as well as transferable skills such as critical thinking or being able to disseminate findings effectively to academics and/or practitioners.
The student presents a critical understanding of relevant literature and theory to support arguments. There is evidence of a good level of independent study. Data analysis is conducted with few errors and there is some evidence of original interpretation. Project presentations and practical implications are communicated well to both academic and lay audiences.
The student presents an in-depth, critical understanding of relevant literature and theory to support arguments. There is evidence of extensive independent study. Data analysis is conducted without error and there is evidence of original interpretation. Project presentations and practical implications are communicated clearly and concisely to both academic and lay audiences.
The student presents a superficial understanding of relevant literature and theory to support arguments. There is evidence of some independent study. Data analysis requires support and there may be some errors. Interpretation of findings is basic and lacks depth of literature to support understanding. Project presentations and practical implications are communicated to both academic and lay audiences, but the student may struggle to fully understand and thus, communicate the full extent of finding implications.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of relevant literature to justify a specific research question and associated hypotheses.
Select, execute and interpret appropriate statistical tests.
Obtain ethical approval for a research study.
Interpret research findings in relation to current knowledge and indicate how these might inform practice.
Effectively communicate your Research Project via an academic written report, which should be presented in line with a selected journal article.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will be required to complete a significant amount of guided self-study. This will be a combination of reading, data analysis, data interpretation and preparation for assignments.
Students will collect data. Data collection may take place in a lab, field or online setting depending on the study.
Students will be required to take responsibility for meeting regularly with their supervisor concerning their research project.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
Fields, A. (2013). Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics. (4th ed.). SAGE.