Year Abroad Alternative (German)
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Pogoda
This module is designed to provide an alternative to a semester abroad for students who are unable to go on their compulsory Year Abroad. Students who are unable to go abroad will be enrolled to one module per language of study. The aims of the module are to provide the students with language expose and support remotely, with a focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills, in order to provide an alternative to the compulsory Year Abroad and to prepare students for final year.
The module aims to further develop academic, cultural and linguistic skills which students acquire during their Year Abroad. There will be 3 weekly classes, with a focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills (including practical aspects of life in the country and current social topics). The primary focus should be on enhancing fluency and improving accuracy of spoken language usage, intercultural understanding and cultural insight.
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills; good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; good ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills; limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; limited ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills; excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; excellent ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate an appropriate and correct command of written German in an advanced register and lexis. (assessment task 2)
Demonstrate their understanding of the society and/or culture of Germany and German-speaking countries. (assessment tasks 1 and 2)
Demonstrate an appropriate and correct command of spoken German in an advanced register and lexis. (assessment task 1)
Students will record and submit one 15-min video in which they will respond, in the target language, to questions set by the tutor.
Students will write one 750-word essay in the target language on a selection of the materials they will have engaged with as part of their self-directed language learning.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will have 3 weekly classes. Classes will focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills e.g. practical aspects of life in the country and current social topics.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to analyse German-language texts (incl. films, visual materials and ideas) and place them in a wider historical-political and socio-cultural context. (Benchmark statement 5.4, 5.7, and 5.11)
- The ability to function in another culture. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to develop intercultural awareness and understanding (Benchmark statement 5.7, 6.10)
- The ability to reflect on and develop language learning skills. (Benchmark statement 6.10)
- The ability to engage in independent study. (Benchmark statement 5.16)