Film Distribution and Marketing
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Steffan Thomas
This module will investigate independent (and studio based) film production, distribution, and exhibition practices across a range of historical periods, and draws on major examples.
This module will introduce theoretical and practical concepts related to finance, investment, intellectual property, and business strategy, and apply these concepts directly to the independent film industry.
Within the module we will look at entrepreneurial activity and financial management, as well as an understanding of the role independent film companies play in the modern entertainment and wider film economy.
The taught element of the module will include:
Financing / Funding
Licensing and Copyright
The module will guide the students to consider the commercial factors when producing, funding, marketing and distributing an independent film. The focus of the module will be on practices applicable to independent production companies and freelance producers to create and sustain a viable production method.
Throughout the module we will look at models for funding, marketing, licensing and copyrighting material as well as differing avenues for content distribution.
This module provides students with an overview of the changes and influences in the development of the modern film industry, and illustrates where the transferable skills of a filmmaker can be applied.
The taught element of the module will include:
Financing / Funding
Licensing and Copyright
Threshold: D- to D+ Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Excellent: A- to A* Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Good: C- to B+ Submitted work is competent throughout and may be distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It:
- Demonstrates good or very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws at least in parts on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
To assess for the need to alter strategies for differing platforms, target audiences and genre
To demonstrate an understanding and interpretation of consumer demographics and what factors impact on the strategies required to target each segment
To evaluate the strategies used to market film and asses their strengths and weaknesses.
To evaluate the strategies used to distribute film and asses their strengths and weaknesses.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 hours of weekly seminars
1 hour of weekly lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
These texts are available via Bangor's library.
The business of media distribution : monetizing film, tv and video content in an online world Jeff Ulin American Film Market. London ; New York : Focal Press 2. ed. 2014
Contemporary American Independent Film From the Margins to the Mainstream. Christine Holmlund Justin Wyatt Hoboken : Taylor and Francis 1. 2004
Shadow economies of cinema : mapping informal film distribution Ramon Lobato London : Palgrave Macmillan on behalf of the BFI 2012
The business of media distribution : monetizing film, tv and video content in an online world Jeff Ulin American Film Market.
Hollywood economics : how extreme uncertainty shapes the film industry Arthur S De Vany London ; New York : Routledge 2004
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/FLMP)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 4 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 4 (BA/GFS)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 4 (BA/GMST)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 3 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 4 (BA/HFSIE)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 3 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BA/J)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)