Modern Families 2023-24
Ysgol Gwyddorau Addysgol
Modiwl - Semester 2
The module will consider the diverse experiences of families across a number of areas that affect children and young people. These will include topics such as: - What is family? - Parents: who are they and what do they do? - Divorce, separation and loss. - Sexuality, gender identity and the family. - The construction of childhood within the family. - Making the decision to have children. - The media and the portrayal of family. - Family mental health. - The environment, families and children. - The importance of brothers and sisters. - The role of the extended family in the modern world. - The world beyond the family and its impact on family life. - How family shapes the child and how children shape the family.
-threshold -50-59%, Pass: Clear evidence of planning leading to a good structure, sound understanding of theories and analysis, and good use of research supported by appropriate evidence. -good -60-69%, Merit: Shows significant insight, offers sustained and relevant analysis, well researched and referenced and written with a clear structure and style.50-59%, Pass: Clear evidence of planning leading to a good structure, sound understanding of theories and analysis, and good use of research supported by appropriate evidence. -excellent -85-100%, Distinction: Outstanding work which demonstrates exceptional scholarship and is worthy of publication, or instrumental in developing professional practice.70-84%, Distinction: Demonstrates excellence in power of analysis, argument, originality, range of research, organisation and stylistic quality.
- Analyse the relationship between society, the individual and the family and explain the impact of these on the child’s experience and development.
- Apply a critical understanding of the key issues that affect family structure and dynamics to the work with children.
- Critically analyse the diversity of family structure, values, styles and dynamics and children’s participation in building these.
- Critically analyse what it is to be a child of a contemporary family.
- Evaluate how differences in families can affect the way in which work with children is undertaken and apply this to real world settings.
Planning for Practice Presentation
Observations of Families in Film