Assessment in Education
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Fliss Kyffin
This module will provide an overview of current guidance and research concerning best practice in assessment in education. It aims to critically evaluate assessment in a range of areas, providing grounding in both formative and summative assessment strategies.
This module intends to equip students with the ability to use assessment to improve standards and outcomes. It will also enable students to develop and evaluate assessment strategies in their own professional context.
In 2021 this module will start at the end of semester 1 and continue into semester 2 so that students have received the module content before they have their observational placement. This will enable students to be well prepared for the placement module, if they are taking it.
If, in semester 1 2021, lectures are timetabled as being-on line due to Covid-19 restrictions, the learning outcomes for this module can be met fully and we will return to campus learning as soon as it is safe to do so. Any planned visits to schools will be replaced with on-line input from professionals in schools to enable students to engage with current educational practice.
• Current methods of assessment used in schools in the UK • Contemporary research concerning best practice in assessment • Use of formative and summative feedback in improving performance • Assessment of children in early years' education • Assessment of children with additional learning needs • Assessment of children with English as an additional language • Quality assurance and the importance of consistency in assessment.
40-49%, Fail: Some consideration given to planning and structure, limited in depth of analysis and use of research, but demonstrating some understanding of the subject matter.
30-39%, Fail: Below the threshold level for Masters’, despite showing a little evidence of relevant study and knowledge.
0-30%, Fail: Seriously deficient, lacking any real evidence of subject knowledge or understanding.
60-69%, Merit: Shows significant insight, offers sustained and relevant analysis, well researched and referenced and written with a clear structure and style.
50-59%, Pass: Clear evidence of planning leading to a good structure, sound understanding of theories and analysis, and good use of research supported by appropriate evidence.
85-100%, Distinction: Outstanding work which demonstrates exceptional scholarship and is worthy of publication, or instrumental in developing professional practice.
70-84%, Distinction: Demonstrates excellence in power of analysis, argument, originality, range of research, organisation and stylistic quality.
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of current practice in assessment based on contemporary research.
Apply the principles of quality assurance to ensure consistency in the assessment of work.
Critically evaluate methods of assessment in terms of their contribution to learning in the context of schools and other educational settings.
Demonstrate ability to develop and evaluate assessment strategies to monitor and improve provision.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Reading for lecture activities and assignments. Writing assignments.
Lectures including practical activities
Visiting schools to learn about assessment methods used
10 hours set aside for each of the 3 assignments for guidance and formative feedback related to assignments
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Show originality in the application of subject specific knowledge and understanding.
- Adapt and transfer ideas from one educational context to another.
- Identify problems, evaluate solutions and critique research associated with educational practice.
- Acquire and analyse data in an educational context.
- Adopt an ethically sound approach to research with children and vulnerable adults.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will need access to a tablet or lap top which can connect to the internet in all lectures. If joining the lectures on-line and to access resources, students will need access to Blackboard Collaborate.
The reading list is currently being updated.