Stress & Distress
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Thandi Gilder
This module will introduce concepts of physical and mental health and describe biopsychosocial approaches to health behaviour and mental disorders. The key topics will be taught in lectures.
Health Psychology lectures will cover definitions of health, models of health behaviour, alcohol use, and stress and illness. Clinical Psychology lectures will cover the classification and diagnosis of mental disorders, explanations of psychopathology, mood disorders, and substance use disorders.
Feedback is provided in the following ways: 1. During lectures. 2. Final lecture examination revision session. 3. Online discussion forum on Facebook. 4. Review time at the end of each lecture. 5. Open invite to meet with tutor to discuss on-going performance, exam results, during office-drop-in times or pre-arranged meeting.
Those elements of the module that received positive feedback last year will be maintained in the next academic year. Feedback identifying areas for possible improvement will be analysed over the summer in order to make appropriate changes for the next academic year.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area and clarity of arguments and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
Describe the concept of health.
Outline the main psychosocial factors that influence health behaviours and health-risk behaviours
Describe major models of health behaviour change.
Describe the concept of stress and a key psychological theory of stress
Describe criteria by which abnormality is defined
Demonstrate knowledge of the DSM classification system of mental disorders
Comprehend the major issues involved in assessing mental disorders
Demonstrate an understanding of the major paradigms in abnormal psychology
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
100 hours Private Study
24 hours of lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 1 (BA/APIS)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 1 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 1 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 1 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 1 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 1 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 1 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 1 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 1 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 1 (BA/SPPIE)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 1 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 1 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 1 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYNP)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 1 (LLB/LPSY)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PHS)
- C810: MSci Psychology with International Experience year 1 (MSCI/PIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PS)