19th Century Symphony
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Chris Collins
- to enable students to explore the defining characteristics of the 19th-century symphony
- to enable students to explore the variety of approaches to symphonic composition in the 19th century
- to enable students to explore the historical and aesthetic contexts of symphonic composition in the 19th century
- to enable students to further develop their musicological skills
No genre has maintained a stronger foothold in the concert repertoire than the nineteenth-century symphony. This module explores the development of symphonic form over the course of the century through the several case studies, ranging from Beethoven to Mahler by way of Schumann, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, Tchaikovsky and others. In the process, the module explores contexts surrounding symphony-writing in the nineteenth century, including the reasons for its pre-eminence in the hierarchy of genres, and its continued acclaim today.
The module will address the following topics:
– The symphony at the turn of the century
– Nine case studies, chosen on the basis of staff expertise, but likely to include symphonies by Beethoven, Berlioz, Schumann, Farrenc, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, Tchaikovsky, Mahler and/or others
– The nineteenth-century symphony today
B- to B+ The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and very good expression.
Please also see the Explicit Marking Criteria for Musicology: https://my.bangor.ac.uk/handbook/content.php.en?nid=16093
A- to A** Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Work which displays fair knowledge of the subject, with some ability at conceptual thought (albeit inconsistent or otherwise flawed), and a general awareness of issues, with evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with good expression
D- to D+ Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject with limited ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
On completion of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate skills of analysis in relation to the nineteenth-century symphony.
On completion of the module, a student be able to engage in discourse on a range of symphonies by nineteenth-century composers.
On completion of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate understanding of the significance of the nineteenth-century symphony in its contemporary and present-day contexts.
Essay questions are provided in the module booklet, distributed at the start of the module.
Presentations will be held during the course of the semester on dates agreed with the module tutor. Depending on the class size it may be necessary to hold one or more separate sessions for student presentations.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Individual consultation on the assessment will be available on demand, up to a total of 1 hour.
One two-hour class in each of the eleven teaching weeks in the semester.
Private study, including lecture preparation (reading, listening, etc.) and assignments. Each week students will be expected to spend at least two hours on assigned (unassessed) preparation tasks.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Reading lists will be provided as appropriate to the topic studied.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)