Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
The aim of this module is to equip students with the fundamental knowledge and understanding of composition of sonic art forms that make creative use of technology. Students will explore a range of compositional methods, aesthetic approaches and technological applications (including programming with Cycling74 Max). They will undertake a series of projects making use of creative hardware and software applications, developing the skills and understanding required to required to work in innovative and creative ways appropriate to our technological age.
The module will provide the foundation required to progress to second year modules that further explore sonic creativity and experimentation with sonic art forms.
This module is designed to provide students with an appreciation of sonic art forms through a series of lectures and practical seminar sessions. Students will explore and discuss various technological applications used to transform and manipulate sound to compose works of sonic art, suitable for both fixed and live (performance) media. Lectures will address different artistic approaches to the use of recorded sound and audio technology. Technology development work will focus on learning simple programming in Cycling74 Max. A portfolio of coursework will lead to a mini concert at the end of the semester in which students will be offered the opportunity to demonstrate their work.
Work which displays a sound grasp of the subject, adequate control of music-analytical and critical tools and conceptual engagement, researched using a good range of sources, and expressed intelligibly and interestingly.
Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject and mastery of music-analytical and critical tools, with evidence of further study, outstanding intellectual engagement and originality of approach and/or insight, researched using a very wide range of appropriate sources, and expressed convincingly and compellingly.
Work which displays basic knowledge of the subject, with limited ability at conceptual thought and musical analysis, a limited awareness of issues, and researched using a limited range of sources. Nevertheless the work has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of sonic art forms.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a theoretical understanding of basic music-technology tools.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to use technology in the realisation of music and sonic art.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to work independently in the music studio environment.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 3 - Acousmatic Study||
Compose a short study which illustrates some of the principles and approaches of Acousmatic Music.
Your study should be between 1 and 2 minutes in duration, and should exploring and developing one particular sound source that you have recorded yourself. Although the focus will be on one sound, you may also include others, but these must be sounds you have recorded or synthesised yourself.
You may develop your sounds using any techniques and software you feel appropriate.
You study should be in stereo.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1 - Recording and Editing Project||
Record, edit and produce a recording of live musicians playing in one of the following styles: popular music; classical music (including new music); jazz; world music; hybrid/fusion. The music may be original, or pre-existing.
Your finished recording should be between 3 and 4 minutes in duration, and should involve more than one musician. There must be at least one instrument/voice recorded using a microphone.
The recording may be made all at one time, or may be ‘overdubbed’ with successive takes. It may be edited to combine the best parts of different takes.
You may include electric instruments (e.g. bass guitar) and synthesised instruments (e.g. keyboards, sequenced samples), as long as the above requirements are also me.
You should ‘produce’ your recording using EQ, reverb and other processing, as appropriate to the musical style or genres involved.
Your recording should be in stereo.
The quality of the performances heard on the recording will not be assessed directly, but you should demonstrate that you have taken steps post-production to lessen the impact of any shortcomings in the performances (for example, by correcting poor intonation).
The quality of musical composition will not be assessed directly, but be aware that it is hard to make a convincing and satisfying recording of a poor piece!
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2 - Max project||33|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 lectures of up to 2 hours.
11 seminars/workshops of up to 2 hours.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-1010.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W305: BA Music with Game Design year 1 (BA/MUSGD)
- W3P5: BA Music with Journalism year 1 (BA/MUSJ)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 1 (BA/MUSTP)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 1 (BA/WHMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)