XUE-3047 Professional Practice 3
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
30.000 Credydau neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Aled Williams
The first half of this module focuses on business success, effective business strategy, business planning and business plan creation. This culminates in a part essay, part business plan submission which is directly connected with the 3rd year major project undertaken in modules 3045 and 3046. Understanding what is successful business strategy is fundamental to effective design. This part of the module brings together may aspects studied theoretically and practically throughout the course and is presented as a report and business plan, along with an evaluation. Elements of this module are taught by external business and innovation consultants.
The second half of this module consists of a 4 week long team task (random mix of First, Second and Third Year students) to engage and respond to an industrial live brief set by one of our partner companies. This aspect of the module is assess by a team Viva before a panel of judges. This task and its assessment replicates the process by which designers working in a team would present their delivered outcome to a client.
- Effective Business Strategy
- Planning for Business Success
- Business Model Canvas creation
- Report evaluation
- Interpreting the Brief
- Team forming
- Team strategy and working methods
- Design realisation
- Team Viva
See learning outcomes.
A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
Develop a critical understanding of the constituents of commercial success in its various forms
Present and reflect on team task design decisions
Create a business plan to complement the final year project
Evaluate success and reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of the business plan
Present and reflect on team task prototype testing
Present and evaluate personal contribution and self-evaluation
Present and evaluate team management, focus and direction
Identify and develop a critical understanding of successful business strategies
|Professional Assignment and Business Model||50.00|
|Team Task Viva Presentation 3||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Mentoring - Able to support, help, guide, inspire and/or coach others
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply convergent and divergent thinking in the processes of observation, investigation, speculative enquiry, visualisation and/or making for problem solving and generating well-informed critical viewpoints
- Generate ideas, concepts, proposals, solutions or arguments independently and/or collaboratively in response to set briefs and/or as self-initiated activity
- Relate the manipulation of materials to the process of identifying design needs, researching and generating ideas as prototypes, models or proposals to promote intellectual and practical learning.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and processes of the subject within a meaningful and coherent context, not in isolation
- Make informed choices regarding social, ethical and environmental issues which are related to the processes of design and manufacture
- Work effectively and in an organised manner within subject specific tasks
- Develop the skills, qualities and attributes required for working independently, as a participating member of a team and across organizations, through the close working relationships between students, lecturers, and industrialists.
- Appropriately implement the skills, knowledge, and understanding gained in both college and industrial situations
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W240: BSC Product Design year 3 (BSC/PD)