Music 1550 -1850
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Chris Collins
This module develops students' musicological skills through the study of music composed between 1550 and 1850, complemented by a series of workshops on advanced study skills.
The module surveys selected works in a range of genres from the late Renaissance to the break-up of imperial Europe in the nineteenth century. Changes and developments in musical style will be set in their historical, cultural, social, geographical and aesthetic contexts. In addition, students undertake deeper study of two works from the period, exploring them analytically as musical texts, and probing the circumstances in which they were composed.
Indicative lecture topics include: - Palestrina and the golden age of polyphony - The madrigal - Music in Elizabethan Britain - The invention of opera - The rise of instrumental music in the 17th century - The Baroque concerto - Music in Restoration Britain - Women, music and the Baroque - Bach - Baroque opera - Baroque oratorio - The hegemony of sonata form - String quartet and symphony - The classical concerto - Beethoven - Schubert and the Lied - Fanny and Felix Mendelssohn - Virtuosity: Paganini, Liszt and Chopin - Verdi
Indicative set texts for deeper study in seminars include: - Monteverdi: 1610 Vespers - Mozart: Don Giovanni
B– to B: Work which demonstrates a good grasp of the subject, with strong conceptual and critical thinking, expressed engagingly.
A– to A**: Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of originality in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed convincingly.
C- i C+
C– to C+: Work which demonstrates a competent grasp of the subject, with adequate conceptual and critical thinking, expressed understandably.
D– to D+: Work which demonstrates an adequate knowledge of the subject, with limited ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed intelligibly.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of the historical and cultural circumstances in which music was composed and performed between 1550 and 1850.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to analyse music from scores and performances.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to research topics in music history independently.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of specific works, styles, genres and musical features in repertoire composed between 1550 and 1850.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to communicate ideas effectively.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to identify specified repertoire aurally.
|TRAETHAWD||Essay 1 (short)||
A short essay on a set topic, relating to music studied in the first half of the module.
|TRAETHAWD||Repertoire test 2||
A short essay on a set topic, relating to music studied across the entire module.
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||Seminar participation||
Individual contribution to discussion and tasks set in seminars.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 1||
Repertoire test, testing aural skills and ability to identify by ear music studied in the first half of the module.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 2||
Repertoire test, testing aural skills and ability to identify by ear music studied in the second half of the module.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
22 lectures, 2 per week, 1 hour each.
6 seminars, held fortnightly, 1 hour each.
5 study skills workshops, held fortnightly, 1 hour each, addressing both subject-specific and key skills.
Preparatory listening for lectures, preparatory reading and listening for seminars, research for essays.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-1301.html
A reading list has been provided on Talis.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)