Computer Systems & Networks
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Saad Mansoor
To provide students:
- experience with IP-based networks and internetworks.
- an understanding of IP addresses, subnets.
- the ability to distinguish between different network hardware; adapters, routers, switches, hubs, gateways etc.
- an understanding of the OSI-model and where various operations fall in that model.
Indicative content includes:
- IP Addressing and Subnets and structures of networks.
- Routing and Switching, and operation of packet-based networls.
- Transport protocols (TCP and UDP) and their operation.
- Higher-level protocols (HTTP, SMTP, etc.) and relation to low-level protocols.
- Message formats and encoding; translating application data to network forms.
- Connection to networks and adapters; hardware used.
- WiFi (wireless LANs)
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Distinguish different roles for devices on a network, including hubs, switches, routers, and gateways.
Differentiate layers of the OSI model and the actions each layer contains.
Apply rules for IP addressing and subnetting to given network scenarios.
Differentiate high-level and transport-layer protocols and their place within networks.
|Protocol/Information Exchange Report||25|
|Network Inventory and Catalogue Report||35|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Practical laboratory (1 hr x 12)
Private study including completing assessments.
Traditional Lecture (2 x 1 hr x 12 weeks)
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- System Design
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-2401.html
- Practical TCP/IP and Ethernet Networking for Industry, Deon Reynders, ISBN 9780750658065
- CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (7th Ed), Mike Meyers, ISBN 9781260122381
- The Illustrated Network: How TCP/IP Works in a Modern Network, Walter Goralski, ISBN 9780128110270
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 2 (BSC/CS)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/CS1)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 2 (BSC/CSF)
- I102: BSc Computer Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/CSIE)
- H117: MComp Computer Science year 2 (MCOMP/CS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/CSE1)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 2 (MENG/CSEIE)