Genes, Development, and Evolution
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr John Mulley
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense except in the Light of Evolution" (Dobzhansky, 1973)
The last few years have seen a major reassessment of our understanding of evolutionary theory, with the proposed introduction of an “Extended Evolutionary Synthesis” (EES). In this 20 credit 2nd year module, you will be introduced to both the historical development of the fields of evolutionary biology and genetics through the 19th and 20th centuries, and to more recent advances in genomics, epigenetics, and evolutionary developmental biology (Evo-Devo).
You will consolidate and build on knowledge that was introduced in the first year 'Ecology and Evolution' module (DNS1003) and we will emphasise the importance of the process of evolution and its fundamental relevance to all biodiversity.
Bioinformatic delineation of species (computer practical). These computer sessions will provide hands-on experience of the use of molecular data (DNA sequences) in identifying species.
Evolution and genetics in the 19th century (the "Modern Synthesis"). This topic will introduce the development of evolutionary theory from antiquity to the mid-20th century, identifying key experiments and important figures in the fusion of population genetics and Darwinian theory that we know as the 'Modern Synthesis'.
Do we need an "extended evolutionary synthesis"? Some have argued that the 'Modern Synthesis' is no longer fit for purpose given advances that have been made in some key fields of biological sciences, and that we need an 'Extended Evolutionary Synthesis'. This idea will be discussed with respect to two main fields: 3a. Evolutionary-developmental biology (Evo-Devo) 3b. Genomics
Genetic markers, linkage mapping and QTL analysis. This final section will cover important genetic markers and technologies, and their application to selective breeding.
C- i C+
Knowledge mostly based around lectures and practicals. Some evidence of reading at least some of the prescribed literature outside the lectures. Limited evidence of understanding and ability to critically evaluate and synthesize the various strands of information.
(C- to C+)
Basic knowledge derived from the lectures and practicals, but with no evidence of ability to critically synthesize this basic knowledge
(D- to D+)
Knowledge based around lectures and practicals and, for marks at the higher end of the scale, with clear evidence of reading the prescribed literature outside the lectures. The student understands some of the fundamentals and demonstrates some ability to critically evaluate and synthesize the various strands of information.
(B- to B+)
Knowledge greatly extends upon class material and demonstrates extensive evidence of extra reading. The student clearly understands the fundamentals and demonstrates an ability to critically evaluate and synthesize various strands of information.
(A- to A*)
Be able to explain how contemporary bioinformatic tools can be used to delimit species and to investigate intraspecific variation from an evolutionary perspective.
Have a clear understanding of the principles of evolution by natural selection and some basic theories in population genetics, as well as an appreciation of current debates in evolutionary theory and the role of embryonic development in morphological change.
Appreciate the various types of genetic marker, the technology involved in their use, and their potential utility in population and ecological genetics, taxonomy, disease and evolution.
Be able to integrate knowledge acquired from different sources, and to apply a problem-solving approach when presented with a hypothetical scenario.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Online (Blackboard) test||
An online test, based on multiple choice questions, fill-the-blanks, calculations and problem solving
|ADDRODDIAD||Spider bioinformatics report||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Online videos and related activities, followed up with live chat and Q&A sessions
|Practical classes and workshops||
Bioinformatics practical - spider DNA. Labster practical simulation activities
Videos and other resources will be made available via the module Blackboard page to guide independent study. There is a dedicated module TALIS reading list. There is an expectation that elements of the directed reading and supporting materials will be used to build upon the lecture material when students are completing assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Appreciate the interdisciplinary and/or reciprocal nature of relationships within the subject area.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of processes through the study of relevant systems.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies to ensure competence in basic experimental and/or fieldwork skills.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/bns-2002.html
Reading list on TALIS
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 2 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 2 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/BITE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 2 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 2 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 2 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 2 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZMZP)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 2 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (BSC/ZR)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZRP)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 2 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 2 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 3 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 2 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 3 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 2 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZRP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 2 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 2 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 2 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/ATMEP)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 2 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 2 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 2 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ESIE)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 2 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 2 (BSC/WLCP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 2 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 2 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- C336: MZool Zoology with Animal Management year 2 (MZOOL/ZAM)