Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Rhea Burton-Roberts
This module aims to present a scientific approach to animal management, providing an applied platform for students wishing to pursue a career within the animal industry.
Topics may include; animal husbandry, applied animal health, nutrition, behaviour, enrichment, training, breeding and record keeping. Many sessions will be applied, looking at a range of examples from animal collections, aquaria and the farming industry. There will be a laboratory practical focusing on the analysis of faecal samples, collected from our University farm, Henfaes Research Centre. Seminar sessions will provide an insight from professionals working in the animal industry from a range of backgrounds, with the aim of enhancing employability within this specific sector, post-graduation. In the final part of the module, students will be required to develop a project based around the management of zoo animals. This will be incorporated into a visit to a popular animal collection. There will also be the opportunity for students to further develop their industry skills through participating in an animal care rota for the alpacas at our University farm.
An excellent grasp of the fundamentals of the science and demonstration of the ability to analyse, critically assess, and present a coherent reasoned argument in relation to best practices in animal management. Demonstration of original thinking and advanced problem solving when evaluating and implementing research methods and husbandry practices. Additional evidence of lifelong learning skills such as ability to adapt to change and motivate others. (Grade A; mark range 70-100%)
A good grasp of the fundamentals and demonstration of critical thought with evidence of additional reading and/or practice. An ability to present a coherent argument with clarity. A good appreciation of the main approaches employed in the management of animals within zoos, aquaria and the farming industry, with the ability to critically assess their suitability in a given situation. Good evidence of lifelong learning skills, demonstrating ability to work effectively with others. (Grade B; mark range 60-69%)
Awareness of the fundamentals underlying animal management, based on lecture material and practical sessions, but with limited or absent analytical ability. Some evidence of transferable skills and the ability to apply knowledge within the industry, but with limited or absent organisational and communication skills (Grade D or C; mark range 40-59%)
Demonstrate a comprehensive, scientific approach to the key concepts of animal management, through the synthesis and development of established and multidisciplinary knowledge.
Identify transferable management and husbandry practices across species.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of the management of animal collections, particularly the purpose of species and their role in conserving biodiversity.
Design and undertake practical work focusing on animal health, including the critical evaluation and application of results.
Identify and develop target areas for personal continuous professional development, with the view of enhancing employability in a focused animal industry sector.
|Applied Animal Health Practical||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly lectures are designed to be a “rough guide” to the key animal management topics, providing a “theme” for workshops, guest lectures, practicals and excursions.
One to two one-hour lectures per week.
Faecal analysis practical
Seminar sessions will be provided to encourage student-led learning and to facilitate discussions with industry professionals.
One two-hour seminar session per week.
1 x full day trip to zoo 1 x half-day trip to aquarium 2 x half-day trips to University farm
External visits will be timetabled in separate weeks.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- PS1 Communication skills, covering both written and oral communication with a variety of audiences
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS3 Problem-solving skills, relating to qualitative and quantitative information
- PS8 Time management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective ways of working
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- PS14 Independent learning skills required for continuing professional development
- PS15 The ability to think critically in the context of data analysis and experimental design
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Wellington boots and waterproof clothing will be needed for trips to the University farm.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C300: BSC Zoology year 3 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 3 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 3 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZIE)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 3 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (BSC/ZR)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZRP)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 4 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 3 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 4 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 3 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZRP)