Islam: History, Society and Beliefs
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Farhaan Wali
This module will provide a broad overview of the historical, sociological and religious configuration of Islam together with a comprehensive analysis of Islamic beliefs and practices. The module will commence with an inspection of early Islamic history, society and beliefs, covering the life and career of Prophet Mohammad, and the Qur’an and Sunnah as the main sources of Islamic theology, as well as selected issues of Islamic law and philosophy. The module will also seek to introduce broader understandings and interpretations of the diverse nature of Islamic faith, namely the development of militant Islam. In sum, the module aims to encourage students to gain an understanding of a broader range of issues relating to the study of Islam, looking both at the religion of Islam and also Muslims in particular social and historical contexts.
Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion, yet for most people, its beliefs and practice remain obscure despite having a close religious connection with Judaism and Christianity. For this reason, this module has been designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to Islamic faith, history and practice. The module will introduce students to the study of Islamic theology by exploring the emergence and development of Islam, from its origins in the seventh century to its modern revival. Therefore, the module will guide students through the following aspects of the study of Islam: (1) Introduce students to the history and development of early and modern Islam (against the background of social and cultural contexts); (2) Examine core Islamic beliefs and practices; and (3) Investigate the wider Islamic tradition by surveying Islamic law, philosophy and mysticism.
Shows some knowledge of key areas of the module with an acceptable presentation of arguments.
Shows detailed knowledge of key areas covered in the module with the arguments presented in a logical and coherent way.
Shows comprehensive and very detailed understanding of the material covered in the module, based on extensive background reading.
To demonstrate an understanding of the Islamic faith and practice, as well as an understanding of the main approaches and methodologies in the study of the Islamic religion
To demonstrate an understanding of the development of the historical and sociological importance of the Islamic core sources: namely the Qur’an and Hadith and the function they play in the synthesis of Islamic belief and practice
To demonstrate an understanding of Islamic society and philosophy, as well as an understanding of the key issues facing contemporary Muslims
To be aware of the heterogeneous nature of Islamic faith and to be aware of the historical, sectarian and cultural differences between Muslims
To show understanding of how Islam as a faith relates to wider social, cultural and political contexts
|written 2000 word essay||60.00|
|Take home (seen) exam||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L34L: BA Criminology and Criminal Justice and Social Policy year 1 (BA/CCJSP)
- M931: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice with International Exp year 1 (BA/CJIE)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 1 (BA/CRIM)
- M93P: BA Criminology and Criminal Justice with Placement Year year 1 (BA/CRIMP)
- V100: BA History year 1 (BA/H)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/HF)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/HIE)
- V10P: BA History with Placement Year year 1 (BA/HP)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 1 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 1 (BA/MEMH)
- VV15: BA Medieval & Early Modern History with International Exp year 1 (BA/MEMHIE)
- R806: BA Modern Languages & Philosophy, Ethics & Religion year 1 (BA/MLPRE)
- V5V6: BA Philosophy, Ethics and Religion year 1 (BA/PER)
- VV5P: BA Philosophy and Religion with Placement Year year 1 (BA/PHREP)
- VV57: BA Philosophy and Religion with International Experience year 1 (BA/PRIE)
- LQ35: BA Cymraeg and Sociology year 1 (BA/WS)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 1 (MARTS/HIE)