Prototyping and Fabrication
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr John Story
Understand the need to prototype and the process of designing one. Provide learners with the skills and tools needed to embody an idea in physical reality. Starting with a palette of digital fabrication techniques, developing ideas with some of the tools of the designer, finishing with a project based in a real context.
Indicative content includes:
- Introduction to design methodology, process and techniques.
- Converging on an idea and formulating a brief.
- Prototypes as design tools (looks-like, works-like).
- Introduction to design software for two and three dimensions.
- Operating safely in the workshop environment with basic tools.
- Simple model making: Cardboard Aided Design.
- Plastic prototypes with 3D printing.
- Sheet material and the laser cutter.
- Model making with a CNC mill.
- Considerations for industrial process.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Appreciate and apply relevant workshop and industrial safety standards.
Critique a design tool, for example the diverging and converging nature the of the Double Diamond for design exploration, or the Three Lenses of Innovation. Understand the principle of a problem-solution pair.
Prepare rapid-prototypes using appropriate methods and soft materials.
Produce physical prototypes using digital manufacturing techniques, including 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC milling.
Combine different aspects to understand a design process, including the role of the prototype and how design processes impact on a complete product lifecycle.
Design digital models in 2D and 3D.
|Computer Aided Design||15.00|
|Production of test pieces||15.00|
|Meeting a Brief||50.00|
|Making quick models||5.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Seminars on the fundamentals of design.
Tutor-directed private study including preparation and individual assessments.
Practical labs to meet the project brief.
Training to allow the learner to use the basic functions of a 3D printer, laser cutter and CNC mill.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in safety-critical areas;
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling