Introduction to Research and Inquiry
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
Structured inquiry, critical analysis of data and evidence-based reasoning are among the most valued of professional and academic skills. IN this module you will actively engage with the methods used for rigorous inquiry and research. You will apply qualitative, quantitative and practice-based research methods to three interdisciplinary research tasks. By the end of the module you will have developed a clear understanding of the principles that underlie structured inquiry and the terminology commonly used in academic work, as well as gaining experience with research skills and methods. The module will conclude with the production of a proposal for a structured inquiry project to be conducted in semester two.
Weekly lectures will introduce students to fundamentals of research: Research Basics (Research Theory; Research Ethics; Data, information and knowledge); Finding and Reviewing the Literature; Research Methods (Primary and Secondary data sources; Collecting and Analysing Data; Digital Humanities research); and Structuring the Research Project. Weekly practical sessions will apply these concepts and skills to three short inquiries and the development of a research proposal.
D- to D+
- Has developed a basic level of factual and conceptual understanding of the subject; Reading/research is limited to that gained through class contact;
- There is some evidence of analysis and evaluation but work is mainly descriptive with an uncritical acceptance of information, and unsubstantiated opinions may be evident; Lack of logical development of an argument;
- Shows a limited understanding of the application of research-informed literature or attempt to apply knowledge across situations; Responses may not be meaningful;
- Structure is weak and/or inconsistent and lacking in sequential development; Mistakes in grammar or syntax; Immature style; Citations and bibliography poorly or inconsistently presented; Demonstrates few qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Some evidence of ability to collect appropriate data/ information and undertake straightforward research tasks with external guidance;
- Can communicate in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s), but with evident weaknesses;
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet most obligations to others (e; g; tutors and peers);
- Able to recognise own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others, but lacking insight in some areas;
C- to B+
- Has developed a sound understanding of the subject appropriate to this level; There is evidence of wider reading which goes beyond that gained from tutor contact;
- Intelligent attempt at analysing and evaluating information; Well argued with appropriate amount of evidence, substantiated opinions are given;
- Can apply knowledge of research-informed literature to different contexts and generate a range of responses to given situations;
- Structure is coherent and logical showing progression to the argument; There are few mistakes in presentation or citation; Demonstrates qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can collect and interpret appropriate data/ information and undertake straightforward research tasks with external guidance;
- Can communicate effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to evaluate own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others;
A- to A*
- Has developed a broad factual and conceptual understanding of the subject relative to the level through extensive reading;
- Has analysed and evaluated information using defined techniques & principles; Can collate and categorise ideas and information and can select what is relevant to support analysis and evaluation and develop a coherent argument, appropriate to the level of development; Has developed an early critical approach to information;
- Can generate a range of appropriate responses to given problems, some of which may be innovative; good reference to and application of research –informed literature;
- Well-organised presentation which develops flow and progression in a well-structured argument; Syntax/grammar indicates an appropriate level of maturity; Demonstrates a broad range of qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can collect and interpret appropriate data and successfully undertake research tasks with a degree of autonomy;
- Can communicate very effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work very effectively with others as a member of a group, showing leadership skills where appropriate, and meet all obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
Cite sources appropriately, using quotation, paraphrase and referencing
Articulate a research question, goal or objective that is focused, researchable and relevant
Plan an enquiry-based project that is rigorous, practical and ethical
Apply appropriate research methods to specific research questions, goals and/or objectives
Locate, identify and evaluate primary and secondary sources
|Research project proposal||30.00|
|Portofolio of short research reports on three interdisciplinary research tasks||70.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Workshop sessions developing responses to research tasks.
Weekly 1-hour sessions to discuss application of research concepts and methods
Weekly 1-hour sessions to present research concepts and methods
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to read and analyse texts and other primary sources, both critically and empathetically, while addressing questions of genre, content, perspective and purpose.
- The appreciation of the complexity and diversity of situations, events, discourses, cultures and mentalities.
- Awareness of a range of viewpoints and ways to cope with this.
- Appreciation of the range of problems involved in the interpretation of complex, ambiguous, conflicting and often incomplete material.
- Intellectual independence to ask questions, set tasks, pursue structured enquiries and solve problems.
- The ability to formulate appropriate questions and to provide answers to them using valid and relevant evidence and argument.
- The ability to gather, sift, select quantities of evidence.
- Marshalling of argument in written and oral form
- The ability to compose written arguments expressed in clear, lucid and coherent prose.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students on this module
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/kah-0003.html
• Walliman, N. (2010). Research Methods: The Basics. Abingdon: Routledge.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/ELLITF)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/HF)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/HF)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MSF)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MUSF)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MUSF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/POLF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/POLF)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SF)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- L30P: BA Sociology with Placement Year year 0 (BA/SOP)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BMUS/MUSF)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BMUS/MUSF)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/ELLITF)
- R808: BA Modern Languages (with Foundation Year) year 1 (BA/MLF)
- M10F: LLB Law (with Foundation Year) year 1 (LLB/LAWF)