Human Physiology & Anatomy
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Dylan Jones
Students successfully completing this first year module should have developed a basic understanding of human physiology and mammalian histology in preparation for subsequent second year modules. The module will use a systems based approach to explore most of the major body systems.
The aim of this module is to provide the students with basic knowledge of the anatomy, physiology and histology of humans in health. The course introduces the students to the development of the human body, and looks in more detail at various body systems including; circulatory, respiratory, digestive, endocrine, renal, nervous, reproductive and musculo-skeletal systems, with tissues and organs observed both macroscopically and microscopically.
B- to B+ A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work shows a thorough understanding based on the presented material. The argument is logic and well supported.
D- to D+ A threshold student should have basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of human physiology and histology presented in the module. The work incompletely covers the module material and there may be no argument and lack of examples & support.
A- to A
An excellent student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module and be able to detailed examples where appropriate, supported by additional reading and knowledge drawn from other modules. Evidence of critical thinking and wider reading is essential for A+ and A marks.
C- i C+
C- to C+
A student would have a sound knowledge across most aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work shows an understanding based on the presented material. The argument may have gaps and lacks support.
Relate the structure of various cell types to their function.
Demonstrate an ability relate physiology of a macroscopic level to the histological microscopic level.
Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomy and physiology of various human body systems.
Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the control mechanisms which regulate signalling pathways.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Audio-Visual Assignment||
An AV product on a allocated topic.
|ARHOLIAD||End of Semester 1 Exam||
End of Semester 1 MCQ Exam. 1 hour in duration with 45 questions.
|ARHOLIAD||End of Semester 2 Exam||
1h end of Semester 2 exam. 45 questions.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Including ~20h of learn before lecture material which are hosted on Panopto.
IT Support Sessions for AV assignment including formative "drop-in" sessions
Semester 1: 9x 2 hour lectures 1x 2 hour revision session
Semester 2 9x 2 hour lecture 1x 2 hour revision
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
This module will require access to audio-visual recording equipment such as a webcam. For students on campus, there is loan equipment that can be used.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/mse-1021.html
Human Physiology by Gillian Pocock. This is published by Oxford University Press and whilst there is a snazzy new 5th edition I find the 4th edition to be more than satisfactory for this module. Link to the publisher’s site can be found here: LINK If you do wish to buy a textbook for this module, I advise that you purchase this one. Please note, purchase is not mandatory for engagement with this module.
Histology: A Text and Atlas (With Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology) by Michael H. Ross, Wojciech Pawlina. This is published by Walters Kluwer and is an exceptionally comprehensive review of histology and cellular physiology. Whilst a lot of the content is slightly “advanced” for this module, the microscopic images and annotations are excellent.
Please note the list below are open access resources which you can find online and use for free.
OpenStax Anatomy & Physiology an online textbook on anatomy & physiology which you can download as a PDF and is quite comprehensive. For the purpose of this module, this is more than suitable to use as a recommended textbook. There are also loads of associated resources (including videos, animations etc.) which can be accessed via the OpenStax website.
Histology Guide excellent fully annotated histology guide with some immersive virtual slides. Highly advised that you make extensive use of this website.