Marine Biology Practical 1
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Martyn Kurr
This module aims to introduce students to three important components of Marine Biology: Field Science, Laboratory Science and Communicating Science. It introduces students to the breadth of active research topics within the School Of Ocean Sciences. Students will use a range of different methods regularly employed by Marine Biologists including dissection, microscopy, species identification, data collection, and data analysis. There is also an emphasis on teaching students good laboratory and field skills throughout. During these experiences, students are exposed to a diverse range of species and habitats. At the end of this module, they should have obtained several core-skills needed in their studies, and transferable skills that can be applied across subjects.
Three laboratory sessions, and two workshops
- An introduction to marine plankton and microscopy
- The dissection of a marine teleost fish, and production of scientific drawings
- An introduction to common intertidal macroalgae and associated epibiota
Two case-study activities which include workshops and field visits
This programme may change depending on the restrictions of the COVID pandemic. Additional sessions may be included, or laboratory and field sessions may be made online only.
Knowledge extending well beyond taught material. A thorough understanding of subject-specific concepts and principles, often extending into more specialised areas.
Knowledge based on taught material. A basic understanding of subject-specific concepts and principles.
Knowledge based on the taught material. An understanding of subject-specific concepts and principles, sometimes extending into more specialised areas.
Implement simple laboratory experimentation, or field sampling, to collect data to test a hypothesis.
Demonstrate the ability to make rigorous observations of scientific specimens using appropriate methods. These may include undertaking dissections, using dissecting and compound microscopes, and making drawings and measurements.
Apply knowledge gained during practical work to answer questions about methods used, results obtained, and/or interpretation
Explore, summarise and graphically display key scientific results
Demonstrate the ability to apply appropriate data analysis and interpretation to a scientific dataset.
Explain the methods used and report the key results of practical work in the style of a scientific report, whilst adhering to scientific conventions in terms of structure, style, data presentation and referencing.
Identify a range of marine organisms to taxa and/or species-level, and label key anatomical features.
|GWAITH CWRS||Practical Skills Assessment 1||15.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Practical Skills Assessment 2||15.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Blackboard Ultra Test||30.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Case Study Report||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students should write additional notes during the field and laboratory sessions within their standard notebooks. Students should also research taught material further, and record these findings in their standard notebooks. Students should use this time to prepare their 4 pieces of assessed coursework.
|Practical classes and workshops||
A combination of laboratory and field practicals supplemented by workshops and lectures; three standalone laboratories in semester 1, and two "case study" field activities in semester 2, delivered by a combination of the module organiser and active researchers from the school.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
1. Students are advised to purchase copies of the books listed. Copies of Hayward & Ryland held in the practical laboratory can be consulted during laboratory sessions. 2. Boots and outdoor clothing are required for Field Science sessions. 3. Laboratory coats are required for Practical Laboratory sessions. Students are provided with a free laboratory coat at the start of their undergraduate degree. Students may purchase an additional laboratory coat from the technical staff for £10. 4. Laboratory notebooks are required for Practical Laboratory sessions. Students are provided with a free notebook at the start of their undergraduate degree. 5. Dissection kits are not required. For sessions, where dissection kits are required, kits will be provided by the technical staff. Students are welcome to bring their personal kit if they have one. Alternatively, kits can be purchased from the technical staff, but this is not a requirement.
- Hayward PJ & Ryland JS. Handbook of the Marine Fauna of North-West Europe, 2nd Edition. Oxford University Press. [Strongly recommended]
- Ruppert EE, Fox FS & Barnes RD. Invertebrate Zoology, 7th Edition. Brooks/Cole Publishing.
- Pechinik JA. Biology Of The Invertebrates, 7th Edition. McGraw-Hill Education.
- Levinton JS. Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, 2nd Edition. Oxford University Press
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C163: BSC Applied Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/AMB4)
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 1 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/BMZIE)
- CC1P: BSc Marine Biology with Zoology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/BMZP)
- C160: BSC Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/MB)
- C16F: BSc Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/MBF)
- C165: BSc Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/MBIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 1 (BSC/MBO)
- CF1P: BSc Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/MBOP)
- C16P: BSc Marine Biology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/MBP)
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MVZIE)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 1 (MSCI/MB)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/MBO)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (MSCI/MBOP)
- C17P: MSci Marine Biology with Placement Year year 1 (MSCI/MBP)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MVZ)