Publishing Entrepreneur 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 3
You will apply skills and knowledge developed during the course to propose a business model for an independent publishing company. You will then test the assumptions of that model through the implementation of the business plan. You will acquire and edit a text, design the publication, provide it in a public forum in a way that may regenerate income, and market the product to a defined audience. A the end of the module you will provide a project report and a demonstration of the published text.
-threshold -50-59% A Pass (C) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities: • A satisfactory level of knowledge, analysis and expression. • Some familiarity with, and understanding of, relevant theoretical issues. • Generally sound organisation of argument, with some critical ability. • Accurate expression. • Competent use of quotation and references. -good -60-69% A candidate’s work reaching Merit will show many of the following qualities: • An advanced level of factual knowledge. • Significant [substantial] knowledge of relevant theories and types of analysis. • Some evidence of original thought. • The ability to organise and argue effectively, make balanced judgements, and demonstrate critical thought. • Fluent and accurate expression. • Competent use of quotation and references. -excellent -70% and above Typically, the work of a candidate reaching Distinction will show many of the following qualities: • Thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant theories and types of analysis. • Thorough knowledge of a range of sources and the capacity to engage these critically. • Introduction and discussion of original ideas. • Relevant, well-organised and sophisticated argument. • High ratio of analysis to exposition. • Maturity, clarity and cogency of expression. • Excellent handling of quotation and references.
- Apply a range of research skills and methodologies appropriate publishing and related industries.
- Explore the design processes associated with publishing, including acquisition and editing, product design and production, distribution and marketing.
- Follow the process of developing a business plan, including business description and the market, development and production, sales and marketing, management and finance.
- Recognise and monetise the potential value of a textual property, either digital or physical.
- Recognize and apply disciplinary understanding and subject knowledge to business and organisational issues and priorities
Business plan and Business Model
Project report and publication