Composition in Context
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Pwyll ap Sion
This module aims to place students’ own creative practice in the context of contemporary composition across a range of genres and styles. By studying the work of established composers students will draw out technical, theoretical, aesthetic and philosophical insights which will help to inform and guide their own practice.
Part of the module addresses issues of direct relevance to composition in one of three areas/contexts: composition for instruments and voices; music for film and games; electroacoustic music and sonic art (students must specify which are they wish to study). The other part involves all composers together, discussing issues relevant to all composition and learning from each others’ specialisms and interests.
Seminars will focus on a particular area of composition (instrumental and vocal; film and games; electroacoustic and sonic art). Students will consider the theoretical and technical issues arising from particular works of contemporary composition, and from relevant critical studies of them.
Students and staff will also meet together as one larger group combining all areas of composition, and will hear presentations from staff, students and visiting lecturers on topics of relevance to all forms of composition. They will consider and discuss in what ways insights gained from considering one genre of composition might be applied to others
For creative work: Threshold Work which displays a basic grasp of certain contemporary styles and techniques, capable writing for instruments, voices or other media, but showing limited creative ability. For essay-based work: Threshold Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject, with simple ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
Good for creative work: Work which displays confidence and assurance in its treatment of style, form and technique, an impressive level of creative promise and originality, and a sure understanding of musical instruments, voices or other media, and how to write for them. For Essay Based Work: The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and good expression.
Excellent for creative work: Work which displays an advanced and highly refined understanding of contemporary musical styles, forms and techniques, an impressive range of technical resources and high degree of creative thought, and a developed awareness of how to write for musical instruments, voices or other media. For Essay based work: Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
Understand and appreciate a variety of theories, contexts and concepts relating to contemporary composition
Understand the theoretical foundations (aesthetic, philosophical and technical) of a specific genre of composition
Be proficient in a variety of compositional techniques
Work in a language and idiom which is artistically relevant to contemporary society
Place his/her own creative work in the context of the work of other composers
Communicate ideas and express views effectively in writing
Communicate ideas and express views effectively through oral presentation
|Essay (Written submission)||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)